Minutes of the Regular Meeting of the Council of the Township of Coleman held at the Council Chambers, 937907 Marsh BayRoad,
Coleman Township, Ontario on Monday, September 26th, 2011 at 5:30 P.M.
There were present:
Mayor: D. Cleroux
Councillors: S. Cote,C. Marcella, L. Perry, P. Tresidder
Works Foreman: D. Dufresne
Clerk-Treasurer: C. Bigelow
Fire Chief: D. Laitinen
By-Law Officer: K. Jones
Deputation: Mrs. Anita Koza, Cobalt Public Library
ADOPTION OF THE AGENDA
Motion 11-09-18 MOVED BY Pat Tresidder and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approves thye agenda for the regular meeting of September 26th, 2011 as presented. Carried.
DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OR PECUNIARY INTEREST AND GENERAL NATURE THEREOF
Councillor Perry declared with matters dealing with the Speaker.
ADOPTION OF THE MINUTES
Motion 11-09-19 MOVED BY Susan Cote and SECONDED BY Pat Tresidder:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the minutes of the following Council Meetings be adopted as distributed: Regular Meeting – September 12, 2011 Carried.
– Bass Lake Clean Up in progress.
– International # 4 will need to be certified –
– “No Hunting” signs to be placed near residences
Motion 11-09-20 MOVED BY Pat Tresidder and SECONDED BY Susan Cote:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approves the report provided by Mr. Brian Bigelow, Works Department, as presented. Carried.
– No WSIB coverage for volunteers – insurance coverage will be purchased
– looking into purchasing tables and chair for the hall
– Hydro One will bring gravel for Monk’s Road
– MPAC – Properties are assessed with road access
Motion 11-09-21 MOVED BY Pat Tresidder and SECONDED BY Susan Cote:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approves the report provided by the Clerk-Treasurer, as presented. Carried.
Coleman Fire Department
– Hydro carbon propane course was well attended and very informative.
– Food Bank – Fire prevention open house October 1st, 2011
– Inspection of Nordic Ski Club – smoke alarms required
– Pump is leaking on the tanker – repair approximately $400.00
Motion 11-09-24 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Susan Cote:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approves the report provided by Mr. Donald Laitinen, Fire Chief, as presented. Carried.
Mrs. Anita Koza presented a reported on Cobalt Library meeting. Mrs. Koza advised the library is well used by both Cobalt and Coleman residents. She advised she would bring any questions Council might have to the Board. Mrs. Koza will report following all Board meetings.
The Cobalt Library will hold an open house on October 19th, 2011. All are welcomed.
Motion 11-09-22 MOVED BY Cathy Marcella and SECONDED BY Lois Perry:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT By-Law No. 11-30 being a by-law to amend By-Law 10-37 being a by-law to govern the proceedings of Council be read a first and second time. Carried.
Motion 11-09-23 MOVED BY Pat Tresidder and SECONDED BY Susan Cote:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT By-Law No. 11-30 be read a third and final time and be passed and enacted. Carried.
BUSINESS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES
1. Employee Policy will be reviewed and a proposal presented to Council at the next regular meeting.
2. Councillor Marcella presented a proposed Recycle Survey for review by Council. The survey will be sent to Coleman Residents so that Council will get an opinion from residents prior to making a decision regarding this matter.
3. Celebrate Ontario 2012 was reviewed by Council.
4. Mud Lake Parcels – Hydro One employees are working on preliminary work for the installation of a Hydro Line to the newly created parcels.
Mr. Brian Bigelow will contact the Contractor to request a quote for the completion of the Road Construction to the last parcel as well as a turn around for the new parcels
5. Refinery Townsite Well decommissioning is ongoing and quotes have been requested for mid October.
6. Chitaroni Subdivision – road construction has been tabled to the next meeting.
Councillor Perry received visitors at her residence who were looking into purchasing land in the Township of Coleman. She advised them to address their request to land owners in the Township of Coleman including Mr. Albert Chitaroni. These visitors again stopped at Councillor Perry’s residence on their return from Mr. Chitaroni to advise her that she is being accused of stopping the road progress on the Chitaroni property.
1. Conferences – The Literacy Council of South Temiskaming
Property Entry Training Course
Chamber of Commerce – Provincial Candidates’ Night
Motion 11-09-25 MOVED BY Pat Tresidder and SECONDED BY Susan Cote:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Clerk-Treasurer be authorized to purchase an ad in the Speaker for Fire Prevention Week – $ 75.00 on behalf of the Coleman Fire Department. Carried.
Motion 11-09-26 MOVED BY Cathy Marcella and SECONDED BY Pat Tresidder:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Clerk-Treasurer be authorized to pay the registration fees for Minor Hockey to the City of Temiskaming Shores for: Reed Murphy $113.00
Tina O’Reilly $113.00 Carried.
Motion 11-09-27 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the following taxes be written off:
Township of Coleman Municipal $93.73
Education $22.87 Total $119.13 Carried.
Motion 11-09-28 MOVED BY Cathy Marcella and SECONDED BY Pat Tresidder:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Clerk-Treasurer be authorized to purchase an ad regarding the Cobalt Legion’s 85th year anniversary in the amount of $49.00. Carried.
3. Copies of the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing – Municipal Performance Measurement Program were distributed to Council for their review
Council reviewed the Union Gas application for fixing just and reasonable rates and the Notice of Application and Written Hearing for the Franchise Agreement.
4. The Clerk-Treasurer to include the AMCTO – Local Government Week and You notice in the Weekender.
5. Copies of the Municipal Alcohol Policy were distributed to Council for their review.
6. Council reviewed Hydro One – new and enhanced program information package.
Xplornet Communications Inc – update on rural broadband
The Plantario Group Ltd – fees
Councillor Cote discussed the Official Plan with Mr. Butch Windsor, Municipal Planner. Council will begin a review of the Official Plan – a meeting is scheduled for October 3rd, 2011 at 6:00 p.m.
7. Motion 11-09-28 MOVED BY Cathy Marcella and SECONDED BY Pat Tresidder:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approves the report provided by Mrs. Anita Koza regarding the Cobalt Library, as presented. Carried.
COMMITTEE REPORTS AND APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Mayor Dan Cleroux commended Mr. Brian Bigelow for the excellent work he is doing while Mr. Dufresne is off.
Councillor Cathy Marcella presented the August financial report. She advised she met with Chief Laitinen to discuss his budget to date. She will meet with Mr. Bigelow in the near future. We are presently over budget but money is expected from the water project, a refund from Miller’s and HST rebate.
Mayor Dan Cleroux did not have anything to report at this time.
Coleman Water Distribution
Councillor Cathy Marcella advised the water rate by-law will be amended at the next meeting.
Tourism & Rec
Councillor Lois Perry reported on the Bass Lake Committee meeting held September 20th . The committee is recommending nine lots South of the Knights of Columbus Road and three lots east of Bass Lake Road. She will discuss these recommendations with Ryan. Mr. George Kemp is looking into the ONR ballast located on municipal land. The Committee will continue to meet throughout the winter in order to make policies for the park.
Councillor Perry will review the mandate and signage progress of the CCLT and report to Council.
Copies of the Ministry of Natural Resources agreement for street names and addresses will be distributed to Council for their review.
– Andrew Shafto – Wind In Ontario
– AMO – Provincial Election 2011
– Eleanor McMahon – Share The Road September 2011 Newsletter
– Earlton-Timiskaming Regional Airport – minutes and financial Reports
– Chamber – Tri Town JKA grand opening
Air Service – Business Travel Survey
IN-CAMERA (CLOSED) SESSION
Motion 11-09-30 MOVED BY Pat Tresidder and SECONDED BY Susan Cote:
WHEREAS Section 239(2) states that a meeting or part of a meeting may be closed to the public if the subject matter being considered is:
(a) personal matters about identifiable individuals including municipal or local board employees
(b) advice that is subject to solicitor-client privilege, including communications necessary for that purpose;
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council agrees to reconvene in closed session at 7:45 p.m. to discuss the following matter: Private Business
Hound Chute Dam Carried.
Motion 11-09-31 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council agrees to reconvene in open session at 8:50 p.m. without a report. Carried.
Motion 11-09-32 MOVED BY Pat Tresidder and SECONDED BY Lois Perry:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approves the report provided by Mr. Ken Jones, By-Law Officer, as presented. Carried.
Motion 11-09-33 MOVED BY Susan Cote and SECONDED BY Pat Tresidder:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT this meeting do now adjourn. Carried.