Minutes of the Regular Meeting of the Council of the Township of Coleman held at the Council Chambers, 937907 Marsh Bay Road, Coleman Township, Ontario on Wednesday, September 24th, 2008 at 6:00 P.M.
There were present: Mayor: C. Belanger
Councillors: R. Beeson
Works Foreman: D. Dufresne
Clerk-Treasurer: C. Bigelow
There were present: Cathy & Allan Marcella, Gary Bigelow, Doug McLeod, Dan Cleroux
Motion 08-09-17 MOVED BY Pat Tresidder and SECONDED BY A. Chitaroni:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the minutes of the following Council Meetings be adopted as distributed:
Regular Meeting – September 10, 2008
Special Meeting – September 11, 2008
September 17, 2008 Carried.
Mr. Dufresne advised the tires have been removed from the Complex property, surface treatment in the Township of Coleman on West Cobalt Road is scheduled to begin next week, yield signs have been installed on Nipissing road and Stop Signs will be re-installed at the railway crossing on Coleman Road.
The Town of Cobalt has begun work on the relocation of the Cenotaph. Councillor Beeson advised the Cobalt Kiwanis Club is considering making a donation to assist with the expense of the reconstruction of the Cenotaph. SMC (Canada) Limited have generously offered to move the flag. The Clerk-Treasurer to contact Mr. Bruno Simoni to request that he begin work as soon as possible.
The OMERS coverage for Councillors will be deferred to the next meeting.
A discussion was held regarding Mr. Gino Chitaroni’s letter regarding garbage waste dumping on Coleman Roads. The Works Foreman will drive the back roads to assess the problem and will report to Council. Council expressed misgivings with granting anyone free access to the waste site. They felt this process would have to be monitored carefully. Council will debate this matter further.
Mayor Belanger read correspondence received from Dr. Denton regarding the charge imposed for attending and cleaning up a fire on the Future Energy System Ltd property. The Clerk-Treasurer to advise Dr. Denton that it is Council’s opinion that, as landowner, it is his responsibility to collect from the person who started the fire.
A discussion was held regarding the Coleman Water Distribution System. Mayor Belanger discussed the Coleman Water Distribution System with the Hon. David Ramsay, MPP. He requested to be kept informed and advised he would support the Township’s request for funding. Councillor Beeson discussed the project with Mr. Bruce McMullan. Councillor Tresidder and Mrs. Cathy Marcella will meet with Mr. McMullan to get clarification regarding timeline and certain tasks.
Conferences – 13th Canadian National Conference & 4th Policy Forum on Drinking Water
Cashing in on Energy Savings Work
Ontario’s Digital Economy Conference
2008 CRST Conference
Combating Climate Change
LAS Meet & Greet
Correspondence received from the Town of Port Elgin and the Municipality of Tweed will be deferred to the next meeting.
Councillor reviewed the following correspondence:
– Parks and Recreation Ontario – Important Infrastructure Funding Survey
– Association of Municipalities of Ontario – Mayor Belanger declared Local Government Week – October 19th to 25th, 2008
– Waste Diversion Ontario – Ontario approves new diversion plan for municipal hazardous or special waste
– Ministry of Health Promotion – the Ontario International Amateur Sport Hosting Policy was launched in April 2006 to help guide the province in its decisions to support the hosting of sport events in Ontario
– Ministry of Natural Resources – Tourism Competitiveness Study will look at the best practices and best prospects for growing tourism in Ontario.
– Chamber – correspondence received from Ontario’s Wilderness Region recommends participating in the Competitiveness Study.
– MNDM – Ontario Trillium Foundation – Future Fund 2008-2009
– Mr. Joseph Tresidder wished to thank council for their support with the 9-11 service, parade and dinner.
– Temiskaming Health Unit – Labour dispute
Councillor Perry declared a Conflict with the matters dealing with the Speaker.
Council purchased an ad in the Speaker supporting Fire Prevention Week.
A meeting will be held September 25th regarding High Speed Internet. Electronic North will be making a presentation.
Councillor Perry reported on the FONOM Board meeting held September 19th, 2008 which dealt with the Northern Growth Plan.
The municipal office will be opened daily from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Mrs. Gagnon will remain in the office when the Clerk-Treasurer is away and will either bank her hours or be paid for the extra hour.
The Clerk-Treasurer to contact Mr. Doug Shearer to ask when the extra work requested on the Security System will be completed.
The Clerk-Treasurer to request that Mr. Ken Jones meet with Mr. Bruce Murphy to address his concerns.
The Clerk-Treasurer to advise Mel’s Recycling that he must meet with the Ministry of the Environment to discuss his recycling operation. Burning will be prohibited on his property.
– MERCER – Compensation and Employment Information for Canada
– AMO – Building Canada Fund Communities Component
– MNDM – Timiskaming Diary Farm Milks Energy for all its worth
– OPG – Hound Chute Level
– The Latchford and Area Moose Call
– CJBB – B-103-1FM – Ad
– The Economist – offer
– City of Woodstock – Blackout Day Challenge Results are in
– FCM – Election Alert
– AMO – Comment on Immigration Paper
– AMO – Federal Election 2008 and Ontario Municipalities
– Hazmatmag – alert
– MEOnet – update
– OMERS- retired member news
– SickKids Foundation
– 2009 Temiskaming International Plowing Match and Rural Expo – package
– FCM – Member Advisory
– AMO – Report on August 2008 Board Meeting
– Hydro One – Conserving Energy Together
Motion 08-09-18 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Ron Beeson:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT this meeting do now adjourn. Carried.