Minutes of a Special Meeting held in the Council Chambers, 937907 Marsh Bay Road, Coleman Township, on Wednesday, March 31st, 2010 at 6:00 p.m.
There were present:
Township of Coleman Mayor: C. Belanger
Councillor: R. Beeson
A. Chitaroni, L. Perry, P. Tresidder
Works Foreman: D. Dufresne
Financial Officer: L. Gannon
Planning Committee: Dan Cleroux
Also Present: Paul Denomme and Hans Traimer
Councillor Perry declared a conflict of interest with matters concerning the Temikaming Speaker.
Motion 10-03-25 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Albert Chitaroni
WHEREAS Section 239 (2) states that a meeting or part of a meeting may be closed to the public if the subject matter being considered is:
(a) a proposed or pending acquisition or disposition of land by the municipality or local board;
BE IT RESOLVED THAT this part of the meeting be closed to the public.
Mayor Belanger resumed meeting.
1. Mr.Traimer expressed his concern for personal fires in the Township due to dry conditions. He requested that no fire permits should be issued. Mayor Belanger explained that as of April 1, residents need a fire permit to burn and no permits will be distributed. An advertisement on CJTT FM will be broadcasted to notify the Township of the fire ban.
1. Mrs. Belanger informed Council that the Notice to Applicant for the Royal Canadian Legion will be mailed on April 1, 2010.
Altus Capital Planning – Municipal Dataworks Webinar Town of Cochrane: Trenching and Excavating Course
Canadian Environment Conference and Trade show
FCM: Early Bird Special
FCM: 73rd Annual Conference & Municipal Expo
MOE: Green Energy Act Training Session
Temiskaming Chamber of Commerce: Tourism Exchange Temiskaming Chamber of Commence: Alzheimer Society
Councillor Perry will be attending the Tourism Exchange Meeting on April 15, 2010, at Riverside Place. She will be bringing Coleman Township’s post cards for the brochure swap.
Motion 10-03-26 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Ron Beeson
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Council of the Corporation of the Township of Coleman rescind motion number 10-03-18.Carried.
Motion 10-03-27 MOVED BY Pat Tresidder and SECONDED BY Albert Chitaroni
WHEREAS The Corporation of the Township of Coleman maintains all mining roads in the municipality;
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Council of The Corporation of the Township of Coleman petitions the Ministry of Northern Development and Mines and Forestry to request that the Provincial Government distribute mining land taxes collected from the Mineral Rights holders to municipalities in the District of Temiskaming.
AND FURTHER THAT this motion be sent to the Temiskaming Municipal Association for support of all municipalities in the District. Carried.
3. Ministry of Community and Social Services – Complete Letter of Interest. Mayor Belanger read letter.
4. Munisoft Quote – New Computer for the office. This quote will be considered with the 2010 budget.
5. Ace Window Tinting Quote for the office windows to reduce heat from the sun. This quote will be considered with the 2010 budget.
6. Information Request on Coleman Township Flag. Mrs. Belanger will respond to the email and send a picture of the Township’s flag.
7. Awards – FCM Watershed Awards. Mayor Belanger read information.
8. Township of Coleman 2010 Budget. Another meeting will be scheduled for the budget due to time restrictions.
9. Council reviewed lot development on Old Ferguson Highway. Councillor Beeson stated that six, two acre lots can be created and would like the area surveyed for lots and a road. Will discuss further at the next meeting.
10. Council reviewed a draft document prepared by AECOM regarding the Water Distribution Replacement Project.
Motion 10-03-28 MOVED BY Ron Beeson and SECONDED BY Pat Tresidder
BE IT RESOLVED THAT The Corporation of the Township of Coleman approves the draft document prepared by AECOM regarding the Township of Coleman Water Distribution System Upgrades, and shall proceed to tender the project. Carried.
Councillor Beeson will notify AECOM that the motion was passed.
15 Minute Discussion Period:
Mr. Dufresne obtained a quote from Miller Paving for double surface treatment on Marsh Bay Road for $74,664.00, this price will increase by 8 percent on July 1, 2010, with the implementation of HST. Mr.Dufresne also received a quote to pave the approaches to the Marsh Bay RR Crossing for $4,000.00. Mrs. Belanger will write a letter to the ONR to mend the site of their repair, or provide flag men while the paving is taking place.
Mayor Belanger notified council that there is a person looking to purchase the airstrip in the Township. Council would like to keep this land for future lot development.
Councillor Perry requested if Simply Country by Wendy can place a small sign on Township property to advertise her business. All council agrees.
Mrs. Belanger spoke to council about clarifying a question. Jim Sanderson, MNR, inquired about Loon Lake Road North, and how it is assumed as a municipal road? Councillor Beeson stated that it is an unapproved road which is not maintained by the Township and Councillor Perry stated that part of the road crosses crown land.
Council discussed the possibility of creating a small park in front of the Municipal Complex in dedication to Dr. Doug Pollard. Mrs. Belanger will look into NOHFC and the Ministry of Culture and Recreation for funding opportunities.
– AGCO: Gaming registration and Lotteries Information Bulletin: Regulatory Changes
– AMCTO: Support Timmins bid for Hockeyville, Voting April 3
– AMCTO: Inviting AMCTO Award Nominations
– AMTCO: Advice to Members on Ontario’s 2010 Budget
– AMTCO: Nominate your municipality for an E.A Danby Award
– AMO: Provincial Budget 2010
– AMO: 2010 Provincial Budget: Child Care, Infrastructure and Social Assistance Costs
– AMO: Labour Policy Update: Compensation Freeze: Will be considered with the 2010 budget.
– AORS: AORS/OGRA Affiliation – End of Partnership
– City of Timmins: Caribou must be Saved
– College Boreal – Coop students
– DTSSAB – Minutes February 24, 2010
– Environmental Solutions Magazine
FCM: Members Advisory
– Grant Thorton – Catalyst Winter 2010
– Ground Force Training March News Letter
– HazMat Management Magazine: Brownfields
– Infrastructure News for Public Officials Interested in the latest sustainable infrastructure
– Little Tikes Commercial Playgrounds
– MOE: Filtration Process Technical Bulletin of OWWA, OMWA & Drinking Water System Owners/Operators
– MFOA: Bulletin 2010 Provincial Budget
– Milestones: Ontario Good Roads Association
– MOF: 2008 Ontario Municipal Partnership Fund Final Reconciliation
– Municipal Word
– NeoNet Wired News March 2010
– Northern Mayor’s Task force: Budget A Good Start
– Northern Ontario Business Newspaper
– OMERS: Member News
– OMERS: New Private Sector Buy-Back Option
– Ontario Wood: Questions and Answers
– Ontario: Operator Certification Bulletin
Recycling Product News
– Reliance Home Comfort: Water Heater Rate
– Temiskaming Chamber of Commerce: Unique quality Fine Arts
– Temiskaming Chamber of Commerce: The Greenhaus
– Trillium Gift of Life Network – Organ and Tissue Donor Awareness Week April 18-25, 2010
– Turf & Recreation Enews
– Turf & Recreation Magazine March 2010
– Veolia Water Solutions and Technologies
Motion 10-03-29 MOVED BY Pat Tresidder and SECONDED BY Albert Chitaroni
BE IT RESOLVED THAT this meeting do now adjourn. Carried.