Minutes of a Special Meeting held in the Council Chambers, 937907 Marsh Bay Road, Coleman Township, on Wednesday, March 3rd, 2010 at 6:00 p.m.
There were present:Township of Coleman Mayor: C. Belanger
Councillor: A. Chitaroni
L. Perry P. Tresidder
Clerk-Treasurer: C. Bigelow
Town of Cobalt: Mayor Andre Belanger
Councillor pat Anderson Steph Palmateer, C.A.O.
Victor Legault, Works Superintendent
Deputation: Jason Leis and Andrea Lafreniere
The meeting opened with the following discussions with Members from the Town of Cobalt:
1. Coleman Water Distribution System Agreement and Concerns:
Requirements are going to change in the agreement when the new system is in place
– Fire Hydrants and valves – winterized, flushing and exercise
– Township of Coleman requirements will change
– Meters will have to be monitored and read regularly
– Reviewing existing contract
Mayor Belanger will investigate water connections for Cote and White Residences
McEwen property will be included in Coleman Water Distribution System
Mr. Legault will be included in Coleman’s upgrading process
Mr. Legault will send certain areas of coverage that he wants to go over in the agreement
Works Foreman Dufresne will be required to keep a separate log book for the Coleman System
AECOM will be required to include a post sampling after construction in order to get a good base line
Mr. Legault will keep the Township of Coleman informed of situations as upgrade is in progress.
2. The Town of Cobalt is looking for increase in Cobalt’s assessment
Mayor Andre Belanger advised the Town of Cobalt is looking to annex a portion of the Township of Coleman in order to increase their assessment. The Town of Cobalt is
landlocked and needs a place to grow. Mr. Palmateer will forward a plan of the area they are interested. When they receive the assessments, they will survey the benefits to the Town of Cobalt before making any proposal. Councillor Perry advised she will not give any households away. Residents will have the final say in any proposal. Coleman Council will investigate other possible areas of interest.
3. Bass Lake Swim Program
The Town of Cobalt will provide the van again this summer to transport children to and from Cobalt to Bass Lake.
4. Sharp Lake Park
Mr. Palmateer advised he has submitted the information required by Municipal Planner regarding the Sharp Lake Park project.
Councillor Chitaroni advised he is looking for a better price for gravel for the Township of Coleman. The Township of Coleman should get more than 1,500 yds of sand from this project as it is located in the Coleman.
Mayor Colleen Belanger explained the “royalty” process to Council and Councillor Perry advised that the Hon. David Ramsay MPP is assisting with putting forward legislation to extend the boundary for payment of royalties to municipalities beyond North Bay.
The portion of the meeting with the Town of Cobalt representatives ended at 7:15 pm
Motion 10-03-01 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Pat Tresidder:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT By-Law No. 10-04 being a by-law to authorize the execution of the Amendment to the Municipal Funding Agreement for the Transfer of Federal Gas Tax Revenues be read a first and second time. Carried.
Motion 10-03-02 MOVED BY Pat Tresidder and SECONDED BY A. Chitaroni:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT By-Law No. 10-04 be read a third and final time and be passed and enacted. Carried.
Motion 10-03-03 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY PAT Tresidder:
WHEREAS Section 239 (2) states that a meeting or part of a meeting may be closed to the public if the subject matter being considered is:
(a) a proposed or pending acquisition or disposition of land by the municipality or local board;
BE IT RESOLVED THAT this part of the meeting be closed to the public. Carried.
Mayor Belanger resumed the meeting.
Council reviewed the following correspondence:
– Grant Forest Products’ facts, press release and woods allocation
– The next CCLT SWOT meeting will be held March 18th, 2010
– The Association of Municipal Tax Collectors of Ontario’s resolution regarding amending Section 345 of the Municipal Act so that a tax adjustment must be made by a municipality within 120 days of receiving notification of the change.
– Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services advising that Fire Protection Adviser Russ Johnston will begin to provide advice and assistance to our municipality
– Hydro One’s annual report and comments.
– Smart Meter pamphlet for the Township of Coleman
– Office of the Lieutenant governor of Ontario regarding Order of Ontario – Call for Nominations
– The International Awards for Liveable Communities 2010
– District of Timiskaming Social Services Administration Board – budget & billings
– New Lake Temiskaming Loop Tour Project minutes and correspondence.
2010 Urban Symposium
Municipal Procurement & Governance Workshop
Ontario Health and Safety Conference & Trade Show
Green Timiskaming Press Release – meeting
NEOSCIA – – Earlton Farm Show
Motion 10-03-14 MOVED BY Pat Tresidder and SECONDED BY Lois Perry:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Bass Lake Rates for 2010 be set as follows:
CABIN Daily N/A Weekly $175.00 Season $1,000.00
LODGE Daily N/A Weekly $400.00 Season N/A
Unserviced Daily $20.00 Weekly $ 95.00 Season $600.00
Serviced Daily $30.00 Weekly $165.00 Season $900.00 Carried.
Motion 10-03-05 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY PAT Tresidder:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Clerk-Treasurer be authorized to pay the 2010 Airport Operation Contribution in the amount of $2,608.00. Carried.
– Timiskaming Home Support – thank you
– Allain Racine Manufacturer – furniture
– THU – Audiology Services
– AMO – Watch File
– DTSSAB Board – Meeting Minutes
– College Voice
– Health Communities Fund – Program Guidelines
– Penny and Company Marketing Design
– FCM – Members’ Advisory
Motion 10-03-06 MOVED BY Pat Tresidder and SECONDED BY A. Chitaroni:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT this meeting do now adjourn. Carried.