Minutes of the Regular Meeting of the Council of the Township of Coleman held at the Council Chambers, 937907 Marsh Bay Road, Coleman Township, Ontario on Wednesday, July 23rd, 2008 at 6:00 P.M.
There were present: Mayor: C. Belanger
Councillors: R. Beeson
Works Foreman: D. Dufresne
Clerk-Treasurer: C. Bigelow
Present: Doug McLeod, Dave Spenser and Gino Chitaroni.
Motion 08-07-18 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Ron Beeson:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the minutes of the following Council Meetings be adopted as distributed:
Regular Meeting – July 9, 2008
Special Meeting – July 16, 2008 Carried.
Motion 08-07-19 MOVED BY Ron Beeson and SECONDED BY A. Chitaroni:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT By-Law 08-21 being a by-law to appoint a Fire Chief and Deputy Chief for the Township of Coleman be read a first and second time. Carried.
Motion 08-07-20 MOVED BY A. Chitaroni and SECONDED BY Ron Beeson:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT By-Law 08-21 be read a third and final time and be passed and enacted.
Councillor Perry reported on the Coleman Fire Department executive meeting held July 22nd, 2008. Chief Laitinen requested permission to purchase 15 pagers to replace pagers that are not working. He also requested other needed equipment.
Work Foreman Dufresne advised the Town of Cobalt will be cold tarring Buffalo Road. He requested that the product be applied on Short Street to West Cobalt Road. Mr. Dufresne will obtain a quote for this project.
Mr. Chitaroni was in attendance to congratulate Coleman Council for taking the initiative to conduct ditching work on the secondary roads in the municipality. He encouraged Council to expand the cold tarring to Short Street and over the West Cobalt Road to the Cobalt boundary near the Cobalt Pumphouse.
He also request the use of the Coleman Grader (for a fee) for work on two private roads owned by Albert Chitaroni at Portage Bay. Blackstone and Polymet will continue the cleanup of the buildings and property.
Mr. Chitaroni also encouraged Coleman to spend more time in improving Loon Lake to the Portage Bay portion of the Portage Bay Road.
Mr. Chitaroni also mentioned Premier McGuinty’s initiative in reducing all development in Northern Ontario. The Town of Cobalt is preparing a motion regarding this matter and he requested Council’s support of their resolution. The Clerk-Treasurer to contact Mr. Palmateer to get more information.
A discussion was held regarding the “West Cobalt Ball Field” property. This matter will be deferred to a later meeting.
The relocation of the Cenotaph and flag pole was discussed. The Town of Cobalt and Royal Canadian Legion are in favour of relocating the cenotaph and flag pole. The Clerk-Treasurer to complete an application for funding to Veterans Affairs Canada.
Conferences – Municipal energy Management Workshop
Heads of Council Workshop
One Funds Municipal Investment Program
The Future of WiMax in Canada
TRASH Talkin’ II
Discussion Period – Mr. Spenser opposes the use of the Works Department garage for personal use. Council agreed.
Mr. Spenser would like the Short Street and the road to the Cobalt Pumphouse cold tarred. Council will obtain a quote for Short Street.
Motion 08-07-21 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Ron Beeson:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Township of Coleman wishes to work with the Municipality of Temagami, the Municipality of Latchford and the Town of Cobalt on economic development initiatives;
AND FURTHER THAT the Municipality believes that it is better for small municipalities to work as a region;
AND FURTHER THAT the Township of Coleman apply to the Northern Community Investment Readiness Program through the Go North strategy for $5,000.00 for each Municipality to complete regional and individual community profiles in conjunction with the Municipality of Temagami, the Town of Cobalt and the Municipality of Latchford.
AND FURTHER THAT the Township of Coleman will commit funding of $1,000.00 as its share of the program costs if all partners contribute the same amount. Carried.
Motion 08-07-22 MOVED BY Ron Beeson and SECONDED BY Lois Perry:
WHEREAS a Planning Group Committee has been set up as recommended during the Strategic Planning Session held in March 2008;
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Economic Development Committee be dissolved effective July 16th, 2008. Carried.
Motion 08-07-23 MOVED BY A. Chitaroni and SECONDED BY Ron Beeson
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Clerk-Treasurer be authorized to donate $600.00 to the Cobalt Silverfest to assist with the Children Program. Carried.
Motion 08-07-24 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Ron Beeson:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Coleman Fire Department be authorized to purchase 15 pagers and that Chief Laitinen obtain two quotes for equipment requested. Carried.
Council reviewed the following correspondence:
– Mrs. Sharon Nadeau clarified confusion regarding inaccurate information about a sand screener that was owned and operated by Alex Adshead. She emphasized the late Alex Adshead’s strong work ethics and integrity during his lifetime.
– The Association of Municipalities of Ontario advised the Province offers $10 million for Landfill Gas Capture which may result in additional greenhouse gas reduction.
– Northern Quality Cedar Inc. requested permission to put up a temporary sign at the entrance of Moose Lake Road. Council approved.
– Mrs. Sheila Durrant requested the use of the hall for Taoist Tai Chi for a second class on Tuesdays at 7:00 to 8:30 in the evening. Council approved.
– Temiskaming Health Unit’s Enviro-Facts Series regarding understanding Mine Tailings and Municipally-owned Brownfileds.
– the Ministry of Natural Resources regarding North Bay Fire Management’s revision to costs report.
– the Earlton-Timiskaming Regional Airport Municipal Services Board’s minutes and financial report.
– Wired News
– MFOA – 2008 Taxation Survey
– Cowan – news & views
– Canadian Nuclear Association
– AMO – Transit Project Assessment
– AMO – Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
– Shi – introduction
– OWWA Water Efficiency Committee – manual
– Good Force Training Inc. – newsletter
– AMO – Ontario Municipalities Fixing Leaks to Save Water and Tax Dollars
– Temiskaming Health Unit – Cosmetic Pesticide Use – Go Natural
– Infrastructure Ontario – Connections – Summer 2008
Motion 08-07-25 MOVED BY Ron Beeson and SECONDED BY Lois Perry:
WHEREAS this meeting deals with a proposed or pending acquisition or disposition of land by the municipality or local board;
AND WHEREAS this meeting deals with personal matters about identifiable individuals including municipal or local board employees;
BE IT RESOLVED THAT this meeting be closed to the public. Carried.
Motion 08-07-26 MOVED BY A. Chitaroni and SECONDED BY Lois Perry:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT this meeting do now adjourn. Carried.