Minutes of the Regular Meeting of the Council of the Township of Coleman held at the Council Chambers, 937907 Marsh Bay Road, Coleman Township, Ontario on Monday, July 16th, 2012 at 5:30 P.M.
There were present: Mayor: D. Cleroux
Councillors: S. Cote
Acting Works Foreman: B. Bigelow
Clerk-Treasurer: C. Bigelow
Fire Chief: D. Laitinen
Deputation: Gary Bigelow – Road Condition
Present: Lisa Neill, John Simons, Wayne Alldis, Bruce Leis, Don Anderson, Jeff Reed, Melvin Fleming, Jim Patrick.
ADOPTION OF THE AGENDA
Motion 12-07-25 MOVED BY Cathy Marcella and SECONDED BY Pat Tresidder:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approves the agenda for the regular meeting of October 24th, 2011 as presented: – Addition – The Voice request for ad Carried.
DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OR PECUNIARY INTEREST
ADOPTION OF THE MINUTES
Motion 12-07-26 MOVED BY Pat Tresidder and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the minutes of the following Council Meetings be adopted as distributed: Regular Meeting – July 3, 2012
Special Meeting – July 9, 2012 Carried.
Motion 12-07-27 MOVED BY Susan Cote and SECONDED BY Pat Tresidder:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the General Accounts in the amount of $32,987.41 be passed and paid.
Chief Laitinen advised the Volunteer Fire Department attended a fire on Friday, 13th of July on the South side of Ferguson Road – lit by someone. They will have to come up with a way to dry the hose – perhaps the old tower.
Motion 12-07-28 MOVED BY Cathy Marcella and SECONDED BY Pat Tresidder:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approves Chief Laitinen’s report, as presented: Carried.
The Clerk-Treasurer presented her report.
– The funeral policy should be updated
– working on grant application for a bicycle stand and lifeguard chair for the Recreation Program.
– Bass Lake Park and the Recreation/Swim Program will not be joined together. Stop Watches will be purchased for the Swim Teachers and port-o-potties will be required for the August Weekend.
– Smoke Alarms will be installed in each of the cabins.
Motion 12-07-29 MOVED BY Susan Cote and SECONDED BY Pat Tresidder:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approves the administration report submitted by the Clerk-Treasurer, as presented: Carried.
Mr. Bigelow presented the road department report
– Portage Bay Road – four and possibly five culverts will have to be replaced
ditches should be cleaned out
gravel is required on the road surface
will investigate who is hauling lumber
– Gillies Depot Road – resident complaining about speeding
– Mileage 104 – meeting is scheduled with Miller Paving next Wednesday
– Heritage Silver Trail – Mr. Holdsworth will discuss the Adit with Mr. Bigelow
Motion 12-07-30 MOVED BY Pat Tresidder and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approves the report provided by Mr. Brian Bigelow, as presented for the Works Department Carried.
Mr. Gary Bigelow, representing himself as a ratepayer in Coleman, was in attendance to discuss the following:
– Dust control on the road in the vicinity of the Canamet site. Mr. Bigelow addressed his complaints to Mayor Cleroux, distributed several photos and enquired who is responsible for the expense of providing dust control.
– concerns with the SMC tailings pond and weir extension
– the process of the road closure and signs posted along the road.
– Mr. Bigelow put Council on notice, recommended setting up a committee, a task force, notifying Mr. Sabin, the owner of the company, and the Federal Government.
– He also recommended a $15M retainer.
BUSINESS ARISING FROM THE MIN UTES
1. Coleman Investment
Motion 12-07-31 MOVED BY Cathy Marcella and SECONDED BY Pat Tresidder:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approves the transfer of funds to the CIBC Income Portfolio – with a low tolerance for risk investment – effective August 3rd, 2012. Carried.
2. Coleman Road Improvement Project
– Mayor Cleroux met with the Portage Bay Cottagers Association to discuss the upgrading of Portage Bay Road.
– Councillor Marcella reported on a conversation with Mr. Herd, Miller Paving, regarding upgrading Portage Bay Road with crushed asphalt removed from Highway 11. Council approved ongoing negotiations with Miller Paving Inc.
An application for funding will be submitted to FEDDEV Ontario Infrastructure for the Coleman Road Project.
Motion 12-07-32 MOVED BY Pat Tresidder and SECONDED BY Susan Cote:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approves the application to FEDDEV ONTARIO INFRASTRUCTURE in the amount of $$798,501.74 for the Township of Coleman Road Project.
3. Bass Lake Road – quote for repair and tractor repair
– Council approved the tractor repairs.
Motion 12-07-33 MOVED BY Pat Tresidder and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approves Dupuis Paving’s quotation fo resurface the large area before tracks on Bass Lake Road – $5,220.60 – expected date of repair August 15th, 2012. Carried.
4. Agnico Eagle Mines – Waste rock piles
Council reviewed correspondence received from Agnico-Eagle Mines regarding rock piles. Council agreed to assume full responsibility for the waste rock piles located on Agnico-Eagle Mines Ltd. property. These rock piles will be preserved for heritage purposes.
1. Conference/Training – OPP Fall Seminar
2. Union Gas application for airport Road
Motion 12-07-34 MOVED BY Pat Tresidder and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approves Union Gas’ request to install natural gas line on Airport Road. Carried.
Council reviewed the following correspondence:
3. The Cobalt-Coleman Environmental Advisory Committee minutes for the meeting held June 28th, 2012.
4. The 2012 Building Permits report provided by the Temiskaming Municipal Building Association.
5. The Ministry of Natural Resources’ notice regarding the application of herbicides to selected Crown land forested areas.
6. Picking Businesses garbage
Council discussed the possibility of picking household garbage at Coleman businesses. The Clerk-Treasurer to prepare a list of businesses located in the Township of Coleman.
7. The Voice – request for ad
Motion 12-07-35 MOVED BY Cathy Marcella and SECONDED BY Pat Tresidder:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Clerk-Treasurer is authorized to purchase in The Voice for the promotion of the SMC Diggers Fun Day in the amount of $49.00. Carried.
– HazMat Management – headline news
– Water Environment Association of Ontario – stormwater
– Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration – 3012-13 cultural strategic investment fund
– Timiskaming Health Unit – thank you
– AMO – Watch File
– Influential Women of Northern Ontario – Awards 2012
– Nature’s Gifts – grant opening
– St. Patrick’s School – award
– OPG – performance report
– Dibrina Sure – Client News Bulletin
– Lauzon Equipment – Septic Tank Pumping
IN CAMERA (CLOSED) SESSION
Motion 12-07-36 MOVED BY Cathy Marcella and SECONDED BY Pat Tresidder:
WHEREAS Section 239(2) states that a meeting or part of a meeting may be closed to the public if the subject matter being considered is:
(a) personal matters about an identifiable individual, including municipal or local board employees;
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council agrees to reconvene in closed session at 7:40 p.m. to discuss the following matter: Portage Bay Carried.
Motion 12-07-371-10-34 MOVED BY Cathy Marcella and SECONDED BY Pat Tresidder:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council agrees to reconvene in open session at 8:25 p.m. without a report. Carried.
Motion 12-07-38 MOVED BY Pat Tresidder and SECONDED BY Susan Cote:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT this meeting do now adjourn. Carried.
23854 Dianne Desormeaux $620.48
23855 Don Laitinen $275.00
23856 Accuracy Environmental $ 79.10
23857 Bartlett’s Auto $ 54.65
23858 CIBC $428.85
23859 City of Timmins $155.68
23860 CJTT $531.11
23861 Dam Depot $100.08
23862 Dependable Emergency Vehicles $135.60
23863 Don Laitinen $275.00
23864 Gabbani Courier Service $ 31.82
23865 Green Tractors Inc. $210.72
23866 H2O on the Go $ 38.90
23867 Home Improvement $183.53
23868 Hydro One $1,602.36
23869 Jack Watson Sports Inc. $446.77
23870 Kemp Pirie $1,343.71
23871 Lifesaving Society $173.74
23872 Linde Canada Ltd. $ 72.54
23873 Miller Minerals $966.15
23874 Municipal Property Assessment $6,734.04
23875 North Cobalt Flea Market $193.54
23876 Northern Tel Mobility $271.42
23877 #1 Auto Supplies $202.84
23878 Ontario Northland $254.25
23879 Orkin PCO Services Corporation $ 73.45
23880 Owl Lite $321.55
23881 Pete’s Small Engines $146.79
23882 Phippen Waste Management $413.92
23883 Prism Publishing $166.11
23884 Royal Tire Timmins $7,280.40
23885 Staples $ 53.83
23886 Temiskaming Speaker $ 56.50
23887 T. J. Adshead Electrical $169.50
GENERAL ACCOUNTS continued
23888 Temiskaming Municipal Building $2,250.00
23889 Town of Cobalt $5,400.00
23890 TSC Stores $ 48.65
23891 Wayne’s Garage $1,224.83