REGULAR MEETING MINUTES January 26, 2015 _____________________________________________ ________________________________
Minutes of the Regular Meeting of the Council of the Township of Coleman held at the Council Chambers, 937907 Marsh Bay Road, Coleman Township, Ontario on Monday, January 26th, 2015 at 6:00 P.M.
There were present: Mayor: D. Cleroux
Councillors: S. Cote
Works Foreman: B. Bigelow
Clerk-Treasurer: C. Bigelow
Fire chief: D. Laitinen
Present: Jim Patrick
ADOPTION OF THE AGENDA
Motion 15-01-18 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Ken Laffrenier
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approves the agenda for the regular meeting of January 26th, 2015 as presented: Carried.
DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OR PECUNIARY INTEREST
Councillor Perry declared a conflict with matters dealing with The Voice.
ADOPTION OF THE MINUTES
Motion 15-01-169 MOVED BY Ken Laffrenier and SECONDED BY Lois Perry:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the minutes of the following Council Meetings be adopted as distributed: Regular Meeting – January 12, 2015 Carried.
Motion 15-01-20 MOVED BY Cathy Marcella and SECONDED BY Susan Cote :
BE IT RESOLVED THAT THE General Accounts in the amount of $2,128.09 be passed and paid. Carried.
Motion 15-01-21 MOVED BY Cathy Marcella and SECONDED BY Sue Cote:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT THE Payroll in the amount of $17,286.20 be passed and paid. . Carried.
– Mr. Brian Bigelow advised all is well in his department. The Works Department is presently brushing the roads.
Motion 15-01-22 MOVED BY Cathy Marcella and SECONDED BY Ken Laffrenier: Minutes – Draft Only REGULAR MEETING MINUTES January 26, 2015 _____________________________________________ ________________________________
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approves the Works Department Report submitted by Mr. Brian Bigelow, as presented: Carried.
– Chief Laitinen advised the pumper has been recalled to repair the computer.
– A defective gas monitor will be replaced when he attends the Conference.
– Numerous new regulations are coming out in 2015 which will result in additional training for the Volunteer Fire Fighters.
– Mr. Dan Cleave has joined the Coleman Fire Department.
Motion 15-01-23 MOVED BY Susan Cote and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approves the Fire Department Report submitted by Chief Don Laitinen, as presented. Carried.
– The Investment Report was distributed to Council
– A newsletter will be included with the Interim Tax Notices.
Motion 15-01-24 MOVED BY Ken Laffrenier and SECONDED BY Lois Perry:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approves the Administration Report submitted by the Clerk-Treasurer, as presented: Carried.
BUSINESS ARISING FROM THE MIN UTES
Temiskaming Nordic Ski Trail – LUP
– A discussion was held regarding the Temiskaming Nordic Ski Trail’s request for support for a Land Use Permit. The Clerk-Treasurer to advise the Club that the Township of Coleman does not support the restriction of all motorized vehicles on the trails as presented. In the interim, Council encourages that signage be put in place educating all users of the trails.
– Councillor Training 101 –
the Clerk-Treasurer to register Councillor Laffrenier the training in North Bay.
– Councillor Intro & Insights
– 2015 FONOM/MMAH Northeastern Municipal Conference
The Clerk-Treasurer to register Councillors Perry and Marcella for the Conference
-City of Temiskaming shores – Standard of Care – water
The Clerk-Treasurer to register Mr. Peter Monk for this training Minutes – Draft Only Energy East Pipeline REGULAR MEETING MINUTES January 26, 2015 _____________________________________________ ________________________________
Council reviewed correspondence received from the City of Temiskaming Shores regarding the Zoning By-Law Amendment
Energy East Pipeline
– A discussion was held regarding the Energy East Pipeline Project.
Motion 15-01-25 MOVED BY Ken Laffrenier and SECONDED BY Susan Cote
WHEREAS the Council for the Corporation of the Township of Coleman consider TransCanada Pipelines to be a major and essential contributor to the economic well being of our municipality and to the entire area of Northern Ontario;
AND WHEREAS, without the continued contributions to the Township of Coleman from TransCanada Pipelines to the municipality, the ability to maintain the required levels of essential services to our residents would be seriously compromised;
AND WHEREAS TransCanada Pipelines has always displayed a very conscientious and safe level of maintenance on their infrastructure that passes through our municipality, we are confident that this same level of attention will continue both with the design and ongoing maintenance of their proposed
Energy East Pipeline;
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Council of the Corporation of the Township of Coleman supports the conversion of one natural gas pipeline through the Township of Coleman for the conveyance of crude oil to points east of Ontario.
AND FURTHER that this resolution be forwarded to the Honourable Kathleen Wynne, Premier of Ontario. Carried.
Temiskaming Crop Farmers
Motion 15-01-26 MOVED B Ken Laffrenier and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella:
WHEREAS the 404 farms consisting of 46,454 Minutes – Draft Only AND WHEREAS this loss of income will affect sales of new equipment as well as input supplies for many local suppliers in the coming year; REGULAR MEETING MINUTES January 26, 2015 _____________________________________________ ________________________________
hectares of land dedicated to crops in Temiskaming have suffered devastating crop losses due to weather related conditions in 2014;
AND WHEREAS some crops such as Flax, Buckwheat and Peas are not covered under Provincial Crop Insurance Program;
AND WHEREAS Farmers were unable to harvest a large percentage of barley, oat and wheat, corn, canola and soybean crops;
AND WHEREAS this loss of income will affect sales of new equipment as well as input supplies for many local suppliers in the coming year;
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Council of The Corporation of the Township of Coleman fully supports the City of Temiskaming of Shores’ request for special assistance from Crop Insurance and special consideration from the Minister of Agriculture, Food & Rural Affairs. Carried.
The following requests for Donation will be considered in the 2015 budget
– Cobalt Silverland Cemetery
– Cobalt Coleman Latchford & Area Food Bank
– TSA Chamber of Commerce – Tourism Booth Cost Sharing
Council reviewed the following correspondence
– Cobalt Mining Museum – thank you
– Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing – 2014 Municipal Performance Measurement Program.
– Energy East – results of two independent reviews NEB Application to Participate Notice
– OPP – Court Security and Prisoner Transportation Program
CUPW.STTP – Request for Support to Save Canada Post.
Motion 15-01-27 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Ken Laffrenier:
WHEREAS Postal services have eliminated good Minutes – Draft Only BE IT RESOLVED THAT The Council of The Corporation of the Township of Coleman requests that Hon Lisa Raitt, Minister of Transport, calls on the government to reverse the changes to services announced by Canada Post and look instead for ways to increase service and revenues in areas such as postal banking. Carried. REGULAR MEETING MINUTES January 26, 2015 _____________________________________________ ________________________________
jobs, door-to-door delivery, drastically increased postage rates and closing, downsizing and reducing hours at post offices;
AND WHEREAS Canada Post did not properly consult on these changes with people most affected by these changes;
AND WHEREAS these changes will reduce service and eliminate thousands of jobs in communities throughout our country;
AND WHEREAS Canada Post offers a public service that needs to be protected;
BE IT RESOLVED THAT The Council of The Corporation of the Township of Coleman requests that Hon Lisa Raitt, Minister of Transport, calls on the government to reverse the changes to services announced by Canada Post and look instead for ways to increase service and revenues in areas such as postal banking. Carried.
The Clerk-Treasurer to request more information regarding the price of diesel.
Correspondence received from Ms. Kaitlyn Marie Pearce regarding her Recycling Badge for Girl Guides. Ms. Pearce requested permission to start a recycling program at Bass Lake Park by volunteering to collect the recycling and depositing it a bin provided by the municipality. Council approved her request and commended Ms. Pearce for being an outstanding citizen and a model for the rest of the Community.
A discussion was held regarding The Voice’s request for an ad for the Canadian Armed Forces’ parade. The Clerk-Treasurer to request that a note be placed in the paper stating that the Township of Coleman is proud to showcase and support The Algonquin Regiments.
Motion 15-01-28 MOVED BY Ken Laffrenier and SECONDED BY Susan Cote:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Clerk-Treasurer be Minutes – Draft Only REGULAR MEETING MINUTES January 26, 2015 _____________________________________________ ________________________________
authorized to purchase an ad in The voice for the Canadian Rangers and Army Cadets’ Freedom of the Municipality parade in Cobalt – $49.00. Carried.
Councillor Marcella reported on a meeting held with Mr. Britt Herd, Miller Paving Limited. Coleman, Nipissing, Portage Bay and Carriere Roads will be upgraded in 2015. The existing asphalt surface will be treated with a geotextile chip seal on Bass Lake Road in 2015.
Councillor Laffrenier reported on Airport meeting held January 22nd, 2015. The Board is proposing an increase for municipalities to $7.95 per capita – total for the Township of Coleman would be $4,220.00 annually.
– AMCTO – 77th Annual Conference, Municipal Minute, Directory
– AMO – Watch File, Federal Gas tax Fund, Policy Update, AMP Symposium, Training
– Cleantech Canada – update
– Ascent Solutions Inc – streetlight market
– DTSSAB – 2015 Board Meeting Schedule
– Equipment Journal – newsletter
– Lancaster House – Audio Series, Training Session, Audio Conferences
– MFOA – e-news, AMP Symposium
– MPAC news
– Ministry of the Environment – Course
– Municipal World – Ontario Municipal Act , January issue
– Ontario Good Roads Association – news
– Ontario Municipal Leadership Institute – workshops
– The Undergrounder
– Lions Club of Cobalt and Coleman – Catering Notification
– Thomas Von Cardinal – Notice of Confirmation of Staking Minutes – Draft Only (a) advice that is subject to solicitor-client privilege, including communications necessary for that purpose; REGULAR MEETING MINUTES January 26, 2015 _____________________________________________ ________________________________
– Temiskaming Municipal Association – Agenda & Minutes
IN CAMERA (CLOSED) SESSION
Motion 15-01-29 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella:
WHEREAS Section 239(2) states that a meeting or part of a meeting may be closed to the public if the subject matter being considered is:
(a) advice that is subject to solicitor-client privilege, including communications necessary for that purpose;
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council agrees to reconvene in closed session at 6:40 p.m. to discuss the following matter: Legal OpinionCarried.
Motion 15-01-30 MOVED BY Susan Cote and SECONDED BY Ken Laffrenier:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council agrees to reconvene in open session at 7:55 p.m. without a report. Carried.
Motion 15-01-31 MOVED BY Cathy Marcella and SECONDED BY Lois Perry:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT this meeting do now adjourn. Carried.
26140 Kenneth Jones 50.00
26141 Hydro One 83.84
26142 Northern Tel 404.81
26143 Ontera 18.79
26144 Uniongas 1,570.65