REGULAR MEETING MINUTES February 24, 2014 _____________________________________________________________________________
Minutes of the Regular Meeting of the Council of the Township of Coleman held at the Council Chambers, 937907 Marsh Bay Road, Coleman Township, Ontario on Monday, February 24th, 2014 at 6:00 P.M.
There were present: Acting Mayor: C. Marcella
Councillors: S. Cote
Works Foreman: B. Bigelow
Clerk-Treasurer: C. Bigelow
Fire Chief: D. Laitinen
Deputation: Jim Patrick
ADOPTION OF THE AGENDA
Motion 14-02-27 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Lisa Neil:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approves the agenda for the regular meeting of February 24th, 2014 as presented: Carried.
DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OR PECUNIARY INTEREST
ADOPTION OF THE MINUTES
Motion 14-02-28 MOVED BY Lisa Neil and SECONDED BY Lois Perry :
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the minutes of the following Council Meetings be adopted as distributed: Regular Meeting – February 10, 2014
Special Meeting – February 12, 2014 Carried.
Motion 14-02-29 MOVED BY Susan Cote and SECONDED BY Lisa Neil:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT THE General Accounts in the amount of $35,604.20 be passed and paid. Carried.
Motion 14-02-30 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Lisa Neil:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT THE Payroll in the amount of $14,878.04 for the month of February 2014 be passed and paid. . Carried.
Mr. Bigelow advised the 450 tractor used at the Municipal Waste Site will require extensive repairs.
The Clerk-Treasurer will check into upcoming auctions.
Motion 14-02-31 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Lisa Neil:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approves the Works Department Report submitted by Mr. Brian Bigelow, as presented: Carried. Minutes – Draft Only Continued (2) REGULAR MEETING MINUTES February 24, 2014 _____________________________________________________________________________
Chief Laitinen reported that the Coleman Fire Department responded to a structural fire in Latchford on February 21st.
The new tanker truck will be delivered on February 28th and training will be given on Saturday.
The truck will be licenced when the Township takes ownership – 13% tax will be added to the price of the vehicle – total cost $224,864.35. Two suction hoses will have to be purchased for the vehicle.. The Clerk-Treasurer will contact MIS Insurance to add the vehicle to the fleet.
Motion 14-02-32 MOVED BY Lisa Neil and SECONDED BY Susan Cote:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approves the Fire Department Report submitted by Chief Don Laitinen, as presented:
The Clerk-Treasurer reported:
– Ms. Tammy Mackey’s request to plow the turn around on Road A at Portage Bay Resort was denied.
– Council agreed to the purchase of three “double walled” tanks for diesel and waste oil as recommended by MIS Municipal Insurance.
– Ipad training will occur as soon as wifi has been installed in the Complex.
– Mr. Les Ranta will forward the Asset Management Plan to the Coleman website.
– A update was presented to Council regarding the Temiskaming Municipal Building Association annual budget meeting.
Motion 14-02-33 MOVED BY Lisa Neil and SECONDED BY Susan Cote:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approves the Administration Report submitted by the Clerk-Treasurer, as presented: Carried.
Motion 14-02-34 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Susan Cote:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Clerk-Treasurer be authorized to purchase 2 diesel tanks at the price of $2.700.00 + HST each and 1 – 500 gal aboveground tank at the price of $2,500.00 + HST from Grant Fuels. Carried.
Motion 14-02-35 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Lisa Neil:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT By-Law No. 14-08 being a by-law to authorize the sale of land (1470739 Ontario Limited be read a first and second time.
Motion 14-02-36 MOVED BY Lisa Neil and SECONDED BY Susan Cote:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT By-Law No. 14-08 be read a third and final time and be passed and enacted. Carried.
Motion 14-02-37 MOVED BY Susan Cote and SECONDED BY Lisa Neil:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT By-Law No. 14-09 being a by-law to authorize the borrowing of money by way of temporary advances to meet expenditures made in connection with a certain project – purchase of a 2014 Fort Garry Crusader model 2000 gallon tanker truck for $198,995.00 – amount to be borrowed $98, 995.00 – be read a first and second time. Carried.
Motion 14-02-38 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Lisa Neil:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT By-Law No. 14-09 be read a third and final time and be passed and enacted. Minutes – Draft Only REGULAR MEETING MINUTES February 24, 2014 _____________________________________________________________________________
BUSINESS ARISING FROM THE MIN UTES
1. Council reviewed the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services regarding Automatic Sprinklers
2. Energy Management Plan – deferred to the next regular meeting
3. Employee Policy – the Clerk-Treasurer distributed the policies to Council for their review.
l. Conferences – 2014 AMO Urban Symposium
Ministry of Labour
MFOA – new training
Ministry Environment – Clean Water Act
OSUM – 2014 Conference & Trade Show
AMCTO – Spring Workshops
AMO – 2014 LAS Town Hall Information Session
– The Clerk-Treasurer will check with other Municipal Employees.
AMCTO Zone 8
Motion 14-02-39 MOVED BY Lisa Neil and SECONDED BY Lois Perry:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Clerk-Treasurer and Administrative Assistant be authorized to attend the Municipal elections Training & Election Recounts and financial Reporting Seminar in Timmins – cost $226.00 + tax each on May 21 & 22, 2014 Carried.
2. Motions –
Cobalt Coleman Skating Club – Cookbook Ad
– The Township of Coleman donates annually to assist the Cobalt Coleman Figure Skating Club.
Town of Arnprior – Electricity Rates
Motion 14-02-40 MOVED BY Lisa Neil and SECONDED BY Susan Cote:
WHEREAS increased electricity rates are challenging for the economic competitiveness of the Township of Coleman and its residents;
AND WHEREAS the Township of Coleman encourages the Government of Ontario to not approve any further rate increases for electricity;
AND WHEREAS it is estimated that electricity costs will increase by approximately 50% within the next five years which will negatively affect industry and consumers across the municipality;
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Council of The Corporation of the Township of Coleman fully supports the Town of Arnprior’s request that the Government of Ontario ensures that electricity rates both in the short and long-term, allow our businesses to remain competitive in a global environment and ensure that the vulnerable residents of our communities are not overburdened by ever-increasing electricity rates. Carried. Minutes – Draft Only Continued (4) REGULAR MEETING MINUTES February 24, 2014 _____________________________________________________________________________
Hire George Kemp as Municipal Lawyer
Motion 14-02-41 MOVED BY Susan Cote and SECONDED BY Lisa Neil:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Council of The Corporation of the Township of Coleman hires Kemp Pirie to handle all matters dealing with Sharp Lake Park i.e. Official Plan and Zoning By-law amendments submitted by the Town of Cobalt and all other correspondence.
NEW BUSINESS continued
Council reviewed the following correspondence:
– Town of Atikokan – OPP proposed billing
– Cobalt Mining Museum – request for donation
– Greater Grand Sudbury – Liability Insurance
3. Temiskaming Foundation – Smart & Caring Community Fund
– The Clerk-Treasurer will check to see what date would be available for the Township of Coleman.
4. Lupus Foundation of Ontario – World Lupus Day
– Acting Mayor Marcella declared May 10th World Lupus Day for the Township of Coleman.
5. AMO – Additional Building Canada Fund
– Council reviewed correspondence regarding Additional Building Canada Fund Details.
6. Coleman Water Distribution System – frozen water issue
– Acting Mayor reported of the frozen waterline issue that occurred last week on Coleman Road.
Acting Mayor Marcella wanted to commend the Works Department Employees and staff for their due diligence and efforts in assisting these two residents in getting water into their homes as quickly as possible.
7. Postage Meter – quote
– The Clerk-Treasurer to obtain quotes for a postage meter for the Township of Coleman.
8. City of Temiskaming Shores – Enhanced Curbside Recycling Program.
– Councillor Neil will attend the March 4th presentation on behalf of the Township of Coleman.
Acting Mayor Marcella presented the January 31st, 2014 financial report.
– AMO – Watch File, Council Challenges Workshop, Energy Planning Workshop
– Marketing – connections
– Chamber of Commerce – newsletter
– Solid Waste – newsletter
– HazMat – update
– Environmental Events – newsletter
– Lancaster House – headlines, 3rd issue
– Ontario Trails Council – news
– Workplace Safety & Prevention Services – conferences & events
– Recycling Product News – Jan/Feb 2014 issue, newsletter
– MPAC – response
– AMCTO – Municipal Minute
– The Weekly Detour Minutes – Draft Only – Temiskaming Health Unit – 2013 Council Remuneration Summary REGULAR MEETING MINUTES February 24, 2014 _____________________________________________________________________________
– The Canadian Solar Industries Association – newsletter
– The Miner’s Tavern – Licence
– DTSSAB – 2014 budget
– The Miller Group – Redi-Rock Retaining Wall
– Temiskaming Health Unit – 2013 Council Remuneration Summary
– OESC – Municipal Elections – Information Booklet for Trustee Candidates
Motion 14-02-42 MOVED BY Lisa Neil and SECONDED BY Susan Cote:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT this meeting do now adjourn. Carried.
25339 Steven Horst Baldamus 250.00
25340 A & B Digital Printing 372.88
25341 AMCTO – Zone 8 20.00
25342 Lions Club of Cobalt & Coleman 200.00
25343 Municipality of Temagami 200.00
25344 Town of Latchford 200.00
25345 Clearconnect 3,508.21
25346 Canada Post 34.60
25347 Kenneth Jones 50.00
25348 Arnstein Ind. Equip.Ltd. 5,621.75
25349 Bluewave Energy/Mackey Fuel 170.19
25350 Campsall Electric 133.45
25351 CIBC 522.89
25352 Electronic North Inc. 626.92
25353 Industry Canada 1,420.00
25354 Matco Tools 343.47
25355 Minister of Finance – OPP 4,926.00
25356 Munisoft 1,248.01
25357 Northern Tel 379.10
25358 Nortrax 339.00
25359 OMERS 3,636.72
25360 Ontera 23.64 Minutes – Draft Only 25366 Temiskaming Speaker 79.10 REGULAR MEETING MINUTES February 24, 2014 _____________________________________________________________________________
25361 Pete’s Small Engines 12.32
25362 Pioneer Diesel Injection Ltd 63.05
25363 Produits Industriels Fraser 176.00
25364 Receiver Genera – Payroll Ded 5,394.59
25365 Rene’s Garage 417.34
25366 Temiskaming Speaker 79.10
25367 Temiskaming District Mutual 100.00
25368 Toromont Industries Ltd 854.72
25369 TSC Stores 33.80
25370 Uniongas 1,568.79
25371 Wajax Equipment 2,045.30
25372 Workplace Safety & Ins. Bd 632.36
T OTAL $35,604.20