Minutes of the Regular Meeting of the Council of the Township of Coleman held at the Council Chambers, 937907 Marsh Bay Road, Coleman Township, Ontario on Monday, February 11th, 2013 at 6:00 P.M.
There were present: Mayor: D. Cleroux
Councillors: S. Cote
Works Foreman: B. Bigelow
Clerk-Treasurer: C. Bigelow
Fire Chief: D. Laitinen
Present: Jim Patrick
ADOPTION OF THE AGENDA
Motion 13-02-01 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approves the agenda for the regular meeting of February 11th, 2013 as presented with addition to New Business – the Queen’s Jubilee Medal Carried.
DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OR PECUNIARY INTEREST
Councillor Perry declared a conflict with matters dealing with The Speaker and The Voice.
ADOPTION OF THE MIN UTES
Motion 13-02-02 MOVED BY Susan Cote and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the minutes of the following Council Meetings be adopted as distributed: Regular Meeting – January 28, 2013 Carried.
Motion 13-02-03 MOVED BY Susan Cote and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT THE General Accounts in the amount of $48,316.58 be passed and paid. Carried.
Motion 13-02-04 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT THE Payroll in the amount of $11,978.32 for the month of January be passed and paid. Carried.
– Mr. Brian Bigelow advised the damage to the metre was the result of freezing and had to be replaced. The Clerk-Treasurer to advise the resident that he will responsible for the replacement and installation costs.
– Mr. Bigelow also had to thaw a water line frozen from the curb stop to the residence. The Resident will also be responsible for the costs to thaw the line
– Speed limit signs will be installed on Gillies Depot Road, Nipissing Road and Portage Bay Road.
A by-law will be prepared and residents will be notified.
Motion 13-02-05 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approves the Works Department Report submitted by Mr. Brian Bigelow, as presented: Carried.
– Chief Laitinen thanked Mayor and Council for the excellent volunteer appreciation dinner.
– Chief Laitinen will be having surgery shortly, Deputy Chief Martin Cook will be in charge during his absence.
– February 21st – Coleman Fire Department will host a course on natural gas awareness
– April 27th – Dymond Fire Station will host a course for wild land fire strategies and tactics
– Saturday – Coleman Fire Department will hold a Fish Durby at Portage Bay in memory of Daryl Dufresne from 12:00 noon – Cost $10.00 per person.
Motion 13-02-06 MOVED BY Cathy Marcella and SECONDED BY Susan Cote:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approves the Fire Department Report submitted by Chief Don Laitinen, as presented: Carried.
– the Coleman Application for Consent have been revised by J.L. Richards & Associates Ltd.
– a Building Permit Report for 2012 was distributed to Council.
– The Ontario Provincial Police are responsible for speed limits within the township boundaries.
By-Laws will be passed for all amendments and residents affected will be notified.
– Mr. Lionel Despres advised Despres Pacey will not be quoting for municipal insurance this year.
– A table will be required for the coffee pot in the kitchen. The Clerk-Treasurer will look into this matter.
Motion 13-02-07 MOVED BY Susan Cote and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approves the Administration Report submitted by the Clerk-Treasurer, as presented: Carried.
Municipal Service Providers
– Mayor Cleroux read Mr. Garett Hunting’s January 2013 report.
Motion 13-02-08 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approves the Municipal Service Providers’ Report submitted by Mr. Garett Hunting, as presented: Carried.
The telephone presentation by Mr. Jeff Dean regarding CGIS Mapping was deferred to the next regular meeting.
Motion 13-02-09 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT By-Law No. 13-08 being a by-law for establishing Tax Ratios for 2013 be read a first and second time. Carried.
Motion 13-02-10 MOVED BY Cathy Marcella and SECONDED BY Lois Perry:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT By-Law No. 13-08 be read a third and final time and be passed and enacted. Carried.
BUSINESS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES
1. Ontario Provincial Police – 2013 policing costs estimate.
Policing costs were reviewed. Council will join in voicing their concerns with other communities in Temiskaming.
2. Bass Lake Well upgrade – Council approved the Story Environmental Inc. The Clerk-Treasurer to look into the installation of the upgrade
3. Amendment to By-Laws
– Regular Meetings during the Summer Months – deferred for the present time
– Water Rate By-Law – will be amended to reflect the changes to the flat rate and reserve fund rate. The Administrative cost is in place to recover metre costs associated with
“Reading the metres and Support for the Program”
– Fees By-Law – will be amended to reflect current fees.
4. “Standard of Care – Safe Drinking Water Act” – Council reviewed their package and deferred training for the present time.
1. Conferences – FONOM/MMAH Northeastern Municipal Conference
Ball Diamond Mtce & Best Practices Workshop
LAS/AMO 2013 Town Hall Sessions
Aging Workforce Forum East
AMCTO Spring Workshop
TMA – March meeting
Motion 13-02-11 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Councillors Perry and Cote be authorized to attend the 2013 FONOM/MMAH Northeastern Municipal Conference – May 8th – 10th, 2013. Carried.
Motion 13-02-12 MOVED BY Susan Cote and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Clerk-Treasurer be authorized to attend the 2013 AMCTO ZONES 7 & 8 Joint Workshop – April 24th – 26th, 2013. Carried.
Motion 13-02-13 MOVED BY Cathy Marcella and SECONDED BY Susan Cote:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Clerk-Treasurer be authorized to purchase an ad in the Speaker for the annual Visitor’s Guide in the amount of $102.00 . Carried.
– Prism Publishing – Ad request denied.
3. DTSSAB – Ontario Renovates Component (Home Repair) – notation to be placed in the newsletter
4. Latchford Dam Replacement Project – Council reviewed correspondence. Mayor Cleroux will request more information regarding this matter.
5. Emergency Plan review and training – Council approved joining the Towns of Cobalt and Latchford for the table top exercise. The Clerk-Treasurer will review the Emergency Plan for 2013.
NEW BUSINESS continued
6. Uniongas – Winter Warmth program. Council reviewed correspondence provided by Uniongas offering this service to low-income families in Ontario.
7. Ontario Ministry of Consumer Services – Council reviewed correspondence regarding the “One Call to Dig Consultation”
8. Martin Hacquard – request for land. The Clerk-Treasurer to advise Mr. Hacquard that Council will consider his request in the Spring when the snow has melted and they can view the site.
9. Municipal Act 2001 – Minimum Maintenance Standards for Municipal Highways.
The Clerk-Treasurer provided Council with By-Law 03-05 being a by-law to establish Minimum Roadway Service Standards. This matter will be discussed at the next regular meeting.
10. Queen’s Jubilee Medal – Mayor Dan Cleroux has been awarded the Queen’s Jubilee Medal to honor his dedication of service to his peers, his community and achievements to Canada. His official presentation will be held in the very near future.
Motion 13-02-14 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Story Environmental Inc. Be hired to install the Chlorine System for the Bass Lake park – cost $3,531.25 plus HST. Carried.
Motion 13-02-15 MOVED BY Susan Cote and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Clerk-Treasurer be authorized to donate $200.00 to the Coleman Fire Department for the Daryl Dufresne Memorial Fish Derby. Carried.
– AMCTO – Municipal Minute, Legislative Express.
– AMO – Breaking News, Report to Members, Watch File, flyer.
– HazMat – Americana Trade Show, newsletter
– 2013 Energy Matters Summit
– City of Temiskaming Shores – Final Cultural Fair
– Ontario Tire Stewardship – Technical Committee Meeting
– Ontario Clean Water Agency – monthly newsletter
– Accessibility Directorate of Ontario – new standards
– Northern Growth Plan – news
– Ontario Trails Council – news
– Local Choice Team – support
– Ravenhill Group Inc – Ontario Mayors’ Municipal Recruiting Report
– Earlton-Timiskaming Regional Airport – minutes
– MEPCO – Report,
– OMERS – retired news
– Hamilton Kent – underground info.
– Weekly Detour
– Ground Force Training – February Situation Report
– Albert Centre for Sustainable Rural Communities – announcement
– QUEST – Call for Abstracts
– YCYC-VCVC – Watch
– The Working Forest
Motion 13-02-16 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella
BE IT RESOLVED THAT By-Law No. 13-09 being a by-law to confirm certain proceedings of Council be read a first and second time. Carried.
Motion 13-02-17 MOVED BY Susan Cote and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT By-Law No. 13-09 be read a third and final time and be passed and enacted. Carried.
Motion 13-02-18 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Susan Cote:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT this meeting do now adjourn. Carried.
24381 Diane Desormeaux 592.48
24382 Hydro One 1,234.42
24383 Canada Post 717.55
24384 Hydro One 1,229.52
24385 Kenneth Jones 50.00
24386 Campsall Electric 56.41
24387 Carswell 122.91
24388 Century Manufacturing Corporation 353.84
24389 CIBC 2,565.55
24390 City of Timmins 155.68
24391 Don Laitinen 480.00
24392 DTSSAB 16,088.76
24393 D-TEK-TION 491.55
24394 Electronic North 485.96
24395 Gabbani Courier 31.54
24396 Grant Fuels Inc. 3,616.75
24397 Grant Home Hardware 41.80
24398 Hydro One 81.00
24399 J.L. Richards & Associates 4,271.40
24400 Jump N Fun 190.50
24401 Lois Perry 843.80
24402 Minister of Finance 623.60
24403 Munisoft 483.55
24404 Municipal Service Provider 400.00
24405 New Liskeard Sheet Metal 1,977.57
24406 Northern Tel Mobility 255.80
24407 OMERS 2,381.48
24408 Pioneer Diesel Injection Ltd 50.16
24409 Receiver General – Payrol Ded. 4,537.29
24410 Rona Ontario 78.85
24411 Royal Tire 63.23
24412 Staples 21.15
24413 St. Patrick School 500.00
24414 Temiskaming Speaker 414.71
24415 Temiskaming Emergency Services 190.00
24416 Toromont Industries Ltd 916.77
GENERAL ACCOUNTS continued
24417 Township of Coleman 34.10
24418 Tri Town Motorsports 125.11
24419 TSC Stores 75.60
24420 Workplace Safety & Ins. Bd 542.68
24421 Xerox Canada Ltd 223.51
24423 Yves Breault 720.00