Minutes – Draft Only REGULAR MEETING MINUTES August 25, 2014 _____________________________________________________________________________
Minutes of the Regular Meeting of the Council of the Township of Coleman held at the Council Chambers, 937907 Marsh Bay Road, Coleman Township, Ontario on Monday, August 25th, 2014 at 6:00 P.M.
There were present: Mayor: D. Cleroux
Councillors: S. Cote
Works Foreman: B. Bigelow
Clerk-Treasurer: C. Bigelow
Fire Chief: D. Laitinen
By-Law Officer: K. Jones
ADOPTION OF THE AGENDA
Motion 14-08-28 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approves the agenda for the regular meeting of August 25th, 2014 as presented: Carried.
DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OR PECUNIARY INTEREST
ADOPTION OF THE MINUTES
Motion 14-08-29 MOVED BY Susan Cote and SECONDED BY Lois Perry:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the minutes of the following Council Meetings be adopted as distributed: Regular Meeting – August 11, 2014
Special Meeting – August 18, 2014 Carried.
Motion 14-08-30 MOVED BY Cathy Marcella and SECONDED BY Susan Cote :
BE IT RESOLVED THAT THE General Accounts in the amount of $14,394.67 be passed and paid. Carried.
Motion 14-08-31 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT THE Payroll in the amount of $26,336.79 for the month of August 2014 be passed and paid. . Carried.
– Mr. Brian Bigelow advised the Township of Coleman will be charged $6.20/ton in future for winter sand
– Mr. Bigelow enquired about a dozer for the municipal waste site – Council advised to wait for next
– Mr. Bigelow enquired about changing the lights in the works garage to high efficiency lighting – the Clerk-Treasurer to look into possible grants with Hydro One for this upgrade.
– Mr. Bigelow talked with Mr. Ray Cross regarding fire hydrants. Mr. Cross will be requested to put his solution to the problem in writing for future reference. The Coleman Fire Department Minutes – Draft Only Continued (2) REGULAR MEETING MINUTES August 25, 2014 _____________________________________________________________________________
Volunteers will perform their training on fire hydrants next week to familiarize themselves with the operation of the hydrants.
Motion 14-08-32 MOVED BY Cathy Marcella and SECONDED BY Susan Cote:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approves the Works Department Report submitted by Mr. Brian Bigelow, as presented: Carried.
– Chief Don Laitinen advised he will be away for a period of time – Deputy Chief Cook will be in charged during his absence.
– the 911 service will be held September 7th, 2014 at the Anglican Church in Cobalt.
– The next Mutual Aid meeting will be held September 10th in Cobalt.
– The Hydro Carbon Course will be held in Dymond Township September 19, 20 and 21, 2014 due to the ATV Rally being held at the Coleman Complex site.
– Chief Laitinen will be holding the smoke alarm campaign October 5th to 13th during which time he will be visiting Tourist Camp Operations.
– Chief Laitinen attended an Auto Extrication Course in Pickering – his only expenses were lodging and travel.
– The Coleman Fire Department will continue fuelling their trucks at the garage until Council has put a policy for the use of Coleman’s tanks.
Motion 14-08-33 MOVED BY Susan Cote and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approves the Fire Department Report submitted by Chief Don Laitinen, as presented:
– Mr. Ken Jones enquired about farm animals in residential zoning within Coleman Township. The Clerk-Treasurer will check the Zoning By-Law and contact the Animal Control Officer regarding this matter.
– Mr. Jones advised the time is running out for a notice sent out regarding the relocation of a trailer on a residential lot.
Motion 14-08-34 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approves the By-Law Officer’s Report Submitted by Mr. Ken Jones, as presented: Carried.
– After investigating the culvert replacement on Highway 11B, Mr. Bigelow did not have a problem with the project.
– The name of a road leading off Coleman Road was deferred.
– The request to purchase land by Leis Wood Products was discussed. Mayor Cleroux will discuss this request with Mr. Leis.
– The Hunt/Adshead Consent conditions were reviewed by Council. The Consent will be presented for decision at the September 22nd, 2014 meeting.
– The Biological Study to Assess the Receiving Waters in the Cobalt Area covering memo was distributed to Council for review.
Motion 14-08-35 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approves the Administration Report submitted by the Clerk-Treasurer, as presented: Carried. Minutes – Draft Only Continued (3) REGULAR MEETING MINUTES August 25, 2014 _____________________________________________________________________________
Motion 14-08-36 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Susan Cote:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT By-Law No. 14-25 being a by-law to appoint a Joint Compliance Audit Committee be read a first and second time. Carried.
Motion 14-08-37 MOVED BY Cathy Marcella and SECONDED BY Susan Cote:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT By-Law No. 14-25 be read a third and final time and be passed and enacted.. Carried.
BUSINESS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES
Road A Inspection
– As requested by Council, Mr. Britt Herd submitted an inspection report on Road A and B which was circulated to Council
Council discussed Mr. Herd’s report at length – three points were addressed in the report.
1. There are a few areas that are quite narrow and will cause snow removal issues, including areas where it is not wide enough for 2 cars to meet.
2. Road A includes 5 culverts that are in poor condition. These culvers must be replaced.
3. Road A has a few areas where there is 150 mm of Granular A, but not all areas have this requirement.
Councillors will view the road prior to the next meeting and come with a recommendation for Road A prior to the subdivision agreement being signed.
Ontario Northland – Bass Lake Crossing
Mayor Cleroux would like to set up a sub committee to discuss this matter. Mayor Cleroux and Councillor Perry agreed to sit on the Committee. Mrs. Julie Buffam will be asked to join the group. The Clerk-Treasurer will get the report on Rail Safety prior to the next meeting.
– Winter Maintenance School – Mr. Brian Bigelow and Mr. Peter Monk will attend this workshop.
Garbage Pick Up will be changed to Monday, September 15th, 2014.
– WCWC courses in North Bay & Kirkland Lake
– Snow Plow Training
– Dog Lovers Days – to be forwarded to Mrs. Colleen Belanger.
Motion 14-08-38 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the following pieces of equipment be declared surplus and advertised. for sale by tender: 1985 Yellow GMC Fire Truck 2500 US gallon holding tank
1993 Red Chev
1987 Yellow International
1987 Yellow Kenworth
1968 Yellow John Deer trailer
John Deere Crawler Dozer and attachments Carried. Minutes – Draft Only REGULAR MEETING MINUTES August 25, 2014 _____________________________________________________________________________
Temiskaming Nordic Trail Damage
Council reviewed correspondence submitted by The Temiskaming Nordic Trail regarding damage being done to their trails. This matter was tabled.
Nature & Outdoor Tourism Ontario
– Correspondence reviewed by Council.
– Mayor Cleroux will be inspecting the sites with Mr. Jean Francois Doyon, Agnico Eagle Mines this week. Mr. Ken Jones will also join the group during the visit.
New Municipal Infrastructure Funds
– The Clerk-Treasurer to download information regarding this Infrastructure Fund for the next meeting for Council’s information.
Tourism & Recreation
Councillor Perry presented Ms. Laura Landers’ artist rendition of the future Bass Lake Park gazebo and lifeguard shack. This drawing will be used for future application for funding and fund raisers.
Councillor Perry will thank Ms. Landers for this excellent drawing.
Councillor Perry also addressed the “Blue-Green Algae” information submitted by the Province of Ontario. Ms. Perry advised this information should be included in the Coleman Newsletter and in the Weekender in order to inform our residents of this very serious issue that affects all our lakes.
– AMCTO – Municipal Minute
– AMO – update, Watch File
– Bill Riley – joint & several liability
– Blue-Green Algae – information
– Cleantech Canada – update
– HazMat – update
– Lancanster House – headlines
– Ontario Municipal Leadership Institute – workshops
– Public Services Health & Safety Association – training sessions
– Solid Waste Recycling – conference
– The Weekly Detour – issue
– Trenchless International – news
Motion 14-08-39 MOVED BY Susan Cote and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT this meeting do now adjourn. Carried. Minutes – Draft Only REGULAR MEETING MINUTES August 25, 2014 _____________________________________________________________________________
25785 Keitra Bradford 437.25
25786 Kenneth Jones 50.00
25787 Don Laitinen 464.40
25788 Peter Monk 400.00
25789 Tanya Tomlinson 250.00
25790 Christine Gagnon 275.00
25791 Cote’s Pole Line Inc. 707.38
25792 Don Laitinen 35.37
25793 Grant Home Hardware Building 1,111.85
25794 Jill Koza ` 113.00
25795 Kemp Pirie 6,379.99
25796 Lakeview Signs 680.26
25797 Miller Paving – Northern 819.70
25798 Northern Tel 500.49
25799 Ontera 24.00
25800 Orkin PCO Services Corporation 86.45
25801 Phippen Waste Management 1,186.50
25802 Temiskaming Speaker 601.09
25803 Uniongas 176.06
25804 Xerox Canada Ltd 95.88