Minutes of the Regular Meeting of the Council of the Township of Coleman held at the Council Chambers, 937907 Marsh Bay Road, Coleman Township, Ontario on Tuesday, August 2nd, 2011 at 5:30 P.M.
There were present:
Mayor: D. Cleroux
Councillors: S. Cote , C. Marcella, L. Perry
Clerk-Treasurer: C. Bigelow
By-Law Officer: K. Jones
Fire Chief: D. Laitinen
Absent: Councillor: P. Tresidder
There were present in the audience: Kent & Georgette Saxton, Doug McLeod, Dennis Kelly, Mary Church, Jim Patrick
ADOPTION OF AGENDA
Motion 11-08-01 MOVED BY Cathy Marcella and SECONDED BY Lois Perry:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the agenda for the regular meeting of August 2nd, 2011 be approved as presented. Carried.
DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OF PECUNIARY INTEREST
Councillor Lois Perry declared on item 1 in New Business – Speaker ad
Motion 11-08-02 MOVED BY Susan Cote and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella :
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the minutes of the following Council Meetings be adopted as distributed: Regular Meeting – July 18, 2011
Motion 11-08-03 MOVED BY Cathy Marcella and SECONDED BY Susan Cote:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT THE Payroll in the amount of $33,470.68 be passed and paid. Carried.
Motion 11-08-04 MOVED BY Susan Cote and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella :
BE IT RESOLVED THAT By-Law 11-25 being a by-law to amend By-Law 10-37 being a by-law to govern the proceedings of Council be read a first and second time. Carried.
Motion 11-08-05 MOVED BY Cathy Marcella and SECONDED BY Susan Cote:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT By-Law 11-25 being a by-law to amend By-Law 10-37 being a by-law to govern the proceedings of Council be read a third and final and be passed and enacted. Carried.
BUSINESS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES
1. Council reviewed the Business Registry
2. A discussion was held regarding the Brokerage Agreement.
– Council had not agreed on a fixed price for the parcels situated on Carriere Road
– Mayor Cleroux agreed to seek Council’s approval prior to signing documents in the future.
Amendment: Mayor Cleroux did not agree to see Council’s approval to sign documents in the future. He told Councillor Perry that in the Mayor’s position, he or she is called on all the time to sign documents.
3. Claims Staking
– Councillor Perry reviewed comments provided by Mr. Gino Chitaroni. Under the new act, Surface Right Owners must be notified with 60 days on staking on their property.
4. Kenworth warranty – tabled
5. Council approved the expense of staining the wood on LaRose Bridge.
6. St. Cyr Associates will make a presentation to Council on September 26, 2011.
7. Council reviewed Statistics Canada new National Household Survey information letter.
8. Private Plowing
– Council reviewed financial reports for 2008, 2009 and 2010 for Private Plowing.
– Work Foreman Dufresne will keep an accurate record of private plowing for 2011/2012 – Council will then make a decision.
9. Animal Service Agreement
– Council approved Option A of the agreement with Mr. Garret Hunting.
Motion 11-08-06 MOVED BY Cathy Marcella and SECONDED BY Lois Perry:
WHEREAS Section 239(2) states that a meeting or part of a meeting may be closed to the public if the subject matter being considered is:
(a) personal matters about an identifiable individual, including municipal or local board employees;
(b) a proposed or pending acquisition or disposition of land by the municipality or local board;
(c) labour relations or employee negotiations
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council agrees to reconvene in closed session at 6:55 p.m. to discuss the following matter:
Bass Lake Road
Offer of Purchase Carried.
Motion 11-08-07 MOVED BY Susan Cote and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella :
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council agrees to reconvene in open session at 6:55 p.m. without a report. Carried.
1. Mr. Ken Jones, By-Law Officer presented his report.
Speaker Food, Fun & Entertainment Guide ad
Motion 11-08-08 MOVED BY Cathy Marcella and SECONDED BY Sue Cote:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Clerk-Treasurer be authorized to purchase an ad for Bass Lake Park in the Speaker Food, Fun & Entertainment Guide – price $250.00. Carried.
2. The Township of Coleman has been approved for $15,000.00 funding for playground equipment at the Bass Lake Park from the Social Assistance Reinvestment Fund.
3. Council reviewed Mr. Donavon Porter’s request for recreational use of his property.
Mr. Jones will advise Mr. Porter that Council denied his request.
4. Mayor Cleroux read Ontario Power Generation’s update regarding the Obermeyer Weir.
5. Council approved Mrs. Pauline and Mr. Rosaire Leveille’s request for an extension for the construction of their residence on Airport Road.
6. Council reviewed correspondence received from Northern Ontario School of Medicine.
Motion 11-08-09 MOVED BY Susan Cote and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella :
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approved the Town of Cobalt’s request for 50% of the cost of staining the wood on LaRose Bridge – cost $400.00 to $500.00. Carried.
Sale of parcels located on Carriere Road
Motion 11-08-10 MOVED BY Susan Cote and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella :
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approves the sale of “Mud Lake Lots” by Mrs. Mary Church, Real Estate Broker, RE/MAX Town & Country Ltd. for the price quoted in her presentation.
By-Law Officer Report
Motion 11-08-11 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Susan Cote:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approves Mr. Ken Jones’ July Monthly Report. Carried.
Municipal Service Providers’ Agreement
Motion 11-08-12 MOVED BY Cathy Marcella and SECONDED BY Lois Perry:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approves the Municipal Service Providers’ program in regards to Animal – Option A “Full service including prevention patrols upon request and attendance at public education events, calls through Animal Control, Emergency response after hours” for a cost of $400.00 per month – on an annual basis.
Mr. Hunting will provide Council with a monthly report. Carried.
Coleman Water Distribution System
Councillor Marcella advised the administration charge would remain on the monthly water billing.
Bass Lake Committee
– Councillor Perry reported on the Bass Lake Committee meeting held July 27th, 2011
– Smoke detectors and fire extinguishers will be installed in the cottages.
– The Clerk-Treasurer will oversee the Swim Program for the remainder of the season.
– An update will be requested from the Ministry of the Environment for Cobalt Refinery and Canamet.
Public & Safety
– A “No Vehicles Beyond This Point” sign will be installed at Loon Lake Park.
– Two houses situated on Agnico Eagle property will be demolished and debris taken to the municipal waste site
Motion 11-08-13 MOVED BY Cathy Marcella and SECONDED BY Sue Cote:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT By-Law No. 11-26 being a by-law to confirm certain proceedings of Council be read a first and second time. Carried.
Motion 11-08-14 MOVED BY Susan Cote and SECONDED BY Lois Perry:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT By-Law No. 11-26 be read a third and final time and be passed and enacted. Carried.
– Chris Bremner – Cobalt, Coleman, Latchford and Area Food Bank – thank you for donation
– Cobalt SMC Diggers – Thank you for donation
– Chamber of Commerce – Dragon Fly
Monster Walleye Fish Derby
– Elizabeth Marshall – OLA Position on By-Laws
– OGRA – Alert
– Share The Road July 2011 Newsletter
– Sierra Club Canada – Help Save Alberta’s Grizzly Bears
– WSN Network News July 2011
– District of Timiskaming Social Services Administration Board – minutes
– AMO – Watch File
Annual and Financial Report
– Northern Growth Plan Progress Update
– Ontario’s Modernized Mining Act.
Mr. Doug McLeod commended the Works Department for the good job done cleaning the Short Street Corner.
Motion 11-08-15 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Susan Cote:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT this meeting do now adjourn. Carried.