Minutes of a Special Meeting held in the Council Chambers, 10 Prospect Avenue, Cobalt, on Wednesday, August 2nd , 2006 at 6:00 p.m.
There were present:
Township of Coleman Mayor: C. Belanger
Councillor: M. Allaire
K. Leopold L. Perry
Clerk-Treasurer: C. Bigelow
The purpose of the meeting was to chose a person as cleaning custodian and a heavy equipment operator/labourer.
A discussion was held regarding the Cobalt Water Supply Act. A meeting is scheduled with the Town of Cobalt for August 10th, 2006 to discuss the proposed agreement.
A discussion was held regarding timber harvesting in the Township of Coleman. The Clerk-Treasurer to request a meeting with Mr. Barry Geddes, Grant Forest Products as soon as he returns from hollidays and the Council of the Town of Latchford.
Motion 06-08-01 MOVED BY Marcel Allaire and SECONDED BY Kurt Leopold:
WHEREAS the Municipal Act, S.O. 2001, Section 267(1) states that every municipality shall establish procedures governing the sale of land:
AND WHEREAS By-Law 04-34 (3) states that prior to the disposal of property the Council shall by resolution declare the property to be surplus;
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the council of the Corporation of the Township of Coleman declares that Part 2 and Part 5 of Plan 54R-5142, Lot 13, Concession 4 be declared surplus. Carried.
Motion 06-08-02 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Kurt Leopold:
WHEREAS Thornloe Cheese is a regional brand that is recognized throughout Northern Ontario for its quality and taste;
AND WHEREAS it is a local landmark and tourist attraction for the area;
AND WHEREAS Thornloe Cheese employs 19 people creating economic spin off that is much needed in the local economy;
AND WHEREAS the loss of the Thornloe Cheese plant creates extras milk transportation for the whole industry, as 15% of the milk produced in Temiskaming was processed here, and will now need to be trucked to Southern Ontario;
AND WHEREAS the strong agricultureal base inTemiskaming is reliant upon local production and processing and the availability of agricultural infrastructure in the North. Thornloe Cheese is a strong part of the infrastructure, a component that the farm community does not want to lose;
NOW THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Corporation of the Township of Coleman strongly urge Dairy Farmers of Ontario to ensure that the processing quota attached to the Thornloe Cheese Factory be kept in Northeastern Ontario and encourage Parmalat Canada to continue operations in Thornloe or sell its Thornloe operations as an ongoing operation. Carried.
Motion 06-08-03 MOVED BY Marcel Allaire and SECONDED BY Ron Beeson:
NOW THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Corporation of the Township of Coleman donates $100.00 to the 911 Ontario Advisory Board in order to assist with their work in working and representing the interest of municipal governments on 911 issues. Carried.
– Ontario Hospital Association.
– Service Canada Centre for Youth.
– Ontario Public Buyers Conference ‘06.
– Learn About Cultural Mapping.
– Township of James – Temagami Intergrated Planning Project.
– M.C.T.V. Big Money TV Bingo – permission to sell bingo cards
– Natural Resources Canada – idle-free zone
– AMO – CRC Final Report
– AMO – OMERS Meeting & Nominations
– Earlton-Timiskaming Regional Airport Municipal Services Board – minutes
– Sports Alliance – Ontario Games Program
– Uniongas – municipal news.
– MMAH – A Strong Ontario for a Strong Canada.
– CEMC Interoperability Survey
– MNR – wildlife rabies control operations.
– The City of Windsor – Energy Conservation Challenge
– Haxmat – Headline News
– Solid Waste – Headline news.
– The Green Sward – summer 2006
– Charles – new website – www.cobaltmininglegacy.ca
– Gordon Cosens Survical Group – Forest Management
Motion 06-08-04 MOVED BY Marcel Allaire and SECONDED BY Ron Beeson:
WHEREAS a meeting or part of a meeting may be closed to the public if the subject matter being considered is :
– litigation or potential litigation, including matters before administrative tribunals, affecting the municipality or local board;
– a proposed or pending acquisition or disposition of land by the municipality or local board;
– personal matters about an identifiable individual, including municipal or local board employees;
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the part of the meeting dealing with these matters will be closed to the public. Carried.
Mayor Colleen Belanger left the building and Councillor Kurt Leopold, Acting Mayor, took over the meeting.
Motion 06-08-05 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Marcel Allaire:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Ms. Diane Desormeaux be hired as cleaning custodian for the Coleman office complex for a three month probationary period – $9.50 per hour. Carried.
Motion 06-08-06 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Marcel Allaire:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Mr. Brian Bigelow be hired as heavy equipment operator/labourer for the Coleman for a six month probationary period according to the Policy Manual. Carried.
Motion 06-08-07 MOVED BY Ron Beeson and SECONDED BY Lois Perry:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT this meeting do now adjourn. Carried.