Minutes of the Regular Meeting of the Council of the Township of Coleman held at the Council Chambers, 937907 Marsh Bay Road, Coleman Township, Ontario on Monday, April 23rd, 2012 at 6:00 P.M.
There were present: Mayor: D. Cleroux
Councillors: S. Cote
Acting Works Foreman: B. Bigelow
Clerk-Treasurer: C. Bigelow
By-Law Officer: K. Jones
Deputation: Ross Latter and Danielle Girard, Kemp Elliot & Blair.
Present: Doug McLeod, Wayne Alldis.
ADOPTION OF THE AGENDA
Motion 12-04-18 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approves the agenda for the regular meeting of April 23rd, 2012 as presented: Carried.
DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OR PECUNIARY INTEREST
ADOPTION OF THE MINUTES
Motion 12-04-19 MOVED BY Cathy Marcella and SECONDED BY Lois Perry :
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the minutes of the following Council Meetings be adopted as distributed: Regular Meeting – April 10, 2012
Special Meeting – April 17, 2012 Carried.
Motion 12-04-20 MOVED BY Pat Tresidder and SECONDED BY Susan Cote:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the General Accounts in the amount of $51,756.21 be passed and paid.
Mr. Latter was in attendance to present the 2012 Consolidated Financial Report for 2011.
– Mr. Latter presented and discussed the Water Statement for the Coleman Distribution System upgrades completed in 2011.
– Mr. Latter also distributed and explained the notes of financial statement
– He also distributed and Council signed the Management Letter and the Representation Letter.
– Council agreed that the payroll base and expenditures reflected in the report were accurate.
– Council has no questions regarding the 2012 Audit
Councillor Marcella presented the March Financial Report and asked Mr. Latter’s opinion regarding this format. Mr. Latter approved the format with the stipulation that this report also provided a check of expenditures and revenues for the current month.
Mayor Cleroux thanked Mr. Latter for an excellent presentation.
Mr. Bigelow advised he has been very busy with road maintenance. Grader maintenance will be done this week.
Motion 12-04-21 MOVED BY Pat Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Pat Tresidder:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approves the report provided by Mr. Brian Bigelow, Works Department, as presented: Carried.
The Clerk-Treasurer presented her report
– tenders will be requested for road upgrades/resurfacing.
– Mr. Pollard will provide a quote for the kitchen counter.
– No response has been received from CIBC regarding water loan payment.
– Ontario Northland will be requested po pick up ties along the tracks.
– Mr. St. Don will be permitted to store his 5th wheel on his property for the Summer months only.
– Quote will be requested for a drop box and wheel chair access for the office door.
– Septic System separations from Well were provided to Council.
Motion 12-04-22 MOVED BY Pat Tresidder and SECONDED BY Susan Cote:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approves the report provided by the Clerk-Treasurer, as presented: Carried.
A meeting is scheduled with the Town of Latchford to review the Latchford/Coleman Fire Agreement.
Motion 12-04-25 MOVED BY Pat Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Pat Tresidder:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT By-Law No. 12-14 being a by-law to provide for the adoption of tax rates be read a first and second time. Carried.
Motion 12-04-26 MOVED BY Pat Tresidder and SECONDED BY Susan Cote:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT By-Law No. 12-14 be read a third and final time and be passed and enacted. Carried.
Motion 12-04-23 MOVED BY Pat Tresidder and SECONDED BY Susan Cote:
BE IT RESOLVED THA T By-Law No. 12-15 being a by-law to regulate the removal and relocation of snow be read a first and second time. Carried.
Motion 12-04-24 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT By-Law No. 12-15 be read a third and final time and be passed and enacted. Carried.
BUSINESS ARISING FROM THE MIN UTES
1. Pits and Quarries By-Law Review – deferred to the next regular meeting
2. Carriere Road Hydro Line Extension – The Clerk-Treasurer will enquire when the work is scheduled to begin.
BUSINESS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES continued
3. Water Service Agreement – All changes have been to the agreement as recommended by the Lawyer . Mr. Kemp will review the agreement a final time before it is presented to Council for approval.
4. Cobalt Water Act Agreement – A discussion was held regarding the “protected area/Primary Area” of the Cobalt Water Act. A suggestion was made to sever an area around Sas Lake which would be transferred to the Town of Cobalt. Council did not agree as they felt that preventing development is the purest way to protect the water. The Clerk-Treasurer to advise the Town of Cobalt that Council want to have the Cobalt Water Commission included as a signatory to the Cobalt Water Act Agreement.
5. Temiskaming Health Unit report on the Cobalt Refinery Property – copies were distributed to Council for review. The report will be discussed at the next regular meeting. Progress is ongoing with clean up of the site.
6.Wildlife Centre – status – Council will review this correspondence and discuss at the next regular meeting
7. Refinery Well Decommissioning – Information obtained from the Land Titles Office will be reviewed by the Municipal Lawyer before proceeding with this project.
1. Conferences 2012 Business Awards
Going Local Event
MMAH – Planning Workshop
2. Resolution –
– Town of Latchford – MPAC
Motion 12-04-27 MOVED BY Susan Cote and SECONDED BY Pat Tresidder:
WHEREAS generating stations owned and operated by Ontario Power Generation are assessed by the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation utilizing a formula that is not reflective of the real property value of the facility and this has proven to be a genuine detriment to the Corporation of the Township of Coleman and other municipalities in Ontario from receiving a true value for these sites;
AND WHEREAS Ontario Power Generation continue to provide the Ministry of Finance with 2.5% of gross generated revenues from each site but only in the instance of the Niagara Parks Commission sited facilities is this reflected in their Payment in Lieu’s;
AND WHEREAS this inequity results in all other municipalities, except Niagara Falls, in which Ontario Power Generation facilities are located receiving minuscule Payments in Lieu relative to the true value of these generating stations;
THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Ministry of Finance direct the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation to develop an assessment formula more reflective of the real property value of these sites so that the Payments in Lieu from that Ministry to each Municipality in which they are located will be more reflective of what each site is paying to the Ministry for energy generated in that municipality.
AND FURTHER that this resolution upon approval be forwarded to the Temiskaming Municipal Association for their support with the request to have it presented at the Federation of Northern Ontario Municipalities conference and forwarded for discussion and endorsement by the Ontario Municipal Association. Carried.
NEW BUSINESS continued
– Township of Uxbridge – cancellation of the slots-at-racetracks – reviewed
– Canadian Diabetes Association – Council reviewed the request for donation
– Council reviewed the Spring Pulse Poetry Festival package.
3. Council acknowledged the very generous donation received from The Temiskaming Foundation – Kiwanis Club of Cobalt Inc. Fund Spring Grant 2012.
4. Temiskaming Municipal Building Association – Mr. Seymour submitted the 1st quarterly report for 2012.
5. Council review the P3 Canada Fund Round Four Application Intake information.
6. Council reviewed correspondence received from the Ministry of Natural Resources regarding the Aggregate Resources Act. This matter is being dealt with by the Mayors’ Action Group and the Temiskaming Municipal Association. Council will continue to monitor this situation closely.
7. Council reviewed correspondence received from Infrastructure Ontario advising that Mr. Michael Dorman has been appointed Client Relationship Officer.
– Timiskaming Health Un it Board of Health – minutes
– Alcohol and Gaming Catering Notification Form
– AMO – Watch File
Update on OMERS
– Earlton-Timiskaming Regional Airport Board – minutes
– DTSSAB minutes
– Mass Evacuation Planning – Feedback
IN CAMERA (CLOSED) SESSION
Motion 12-04-28 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Susan Cote:
WHEREAS Section 239(2) states that a meeting or part of a meeting may be closed to the public if the subject matter being considered is:
(a) personal matters about an identifiable individual, including municipal or local board employees;
(b) labour relations or employee negotiations;
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council agrees to reconvene in closed session at 7:40 p.m. to discuss the following matter: By-Law Officer Report
Works Department Employee replacement Carried.
Motion 12-04-29 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council agrees to reconvene in open session at 8:40 p.m. with a report. Carried.
Motion 12-04-30 MOVED BY Cathy Marcella and SECONDED BY Lois Perry:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approves the report provided by Mr. Ken Jones, By-Law Officer, as presented: Carried.
Motion 12-04-31 MOVED BY Cathy Marcella and SECONDED BY Susan Cote:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Mr. Peter Monk be hired for the full time position of Public Works, Roads – Equipment Operator/Labour. Carried.
Motion 12-04-32 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT this meeting do now adjourn. Carried.
23603 Christine Gagnon 250.00
23604 Dianne Desormeaux 413.63
23605 Dianne Desormeaux 509.59
23606 Kenneth Jones 50.00
23607 AMCTO 87.01
23608 Bartlett’s Auto 232.03
23609 Benson 210.65
23610 Bluewave Energy 184.20
23611 Burl Regan 139.33
23612 Silverland Cemetery 1,750.00
23617 Cobalt Coleman Catholic 1,750.00
23614 Royal Canadian Legion 500.00
23615 CIBC 1,925.57
23616 City of Timmins 155.68
23617 Claire Bigelow 322.34
23618 Cobalt Public Library 3,500.00
23619 Cobalt Historical Society 3,500.00
23620 Classic Theatre Cobalt 3,500.00
23621 Cobalt Mining Museum 3,500.00
23622 Cobalt Coleman Latchford & Area 1,000.00
23623 Darch Fire 248.60
23624 Hydro One 80.68
23625 Kemp Pirie 622.81
23626 Lois Perry 49.27
23627 M & L Supply 719.76
2362 Mid-North Containers Limited 70.96
23629 Miller Minerals 710.84
23630 Munisoft 168.89
23631 Municipal Service Provider 438.50
23632 Northern Tel 435.00
23633 # 1 Auto Supplies 57.01
23634 Ontario Northland 84.75
23635 Pioneer Diesel Injection Ltd 182.40
23636 Prism Publishing 55.37
23637 Purolator Courier Ltd 105.93
23638 Red Stallion 71.07
23639 4536631 Canada Inc/Rona 12.14
23640 Sani Gear Fire 649.69
2364 1 Services Pyro-Pro 1,568.96
23642 SSQ Financial Group 3,512.16
23643 Staples 161.70
23644 Stokes International 178.43
23645 Stone Company Ltd 2,147.00
23646 Temiskaming Speaker 2,190.23
23647 Temiskaming Municipal Building 3,166.00
23648 Temiskaming Office Pro 994.03
23649 Town of Cobalt 7,000.00
23650 Tri-Town Automotive Ind Supply 1,043.59
23651 Uniongas 676.79
23652 Wayne’s Garage 873.62